3.1.1 update broke my site completely
Since I’m not seeing a multitude of similar cries for help, I guess this isn’t happening for most users. The only untypical factor I can think of with my WP installation is that I use a splash page on the root of the site (http://www.nexistepas.com/) and the blog posts appear at http://www.nexistepas.com/enthuse/ – there is nothing at all to see at either of these links at this point, nor at the admin address…
try downloading a fresh copy and uploading the files manually. the 1st attempt might have failed halfway.
I would make sure you followed all of the instructions here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress_Extended
Specifically try to disable all of your plug-ins and see what happened.
I have been trying to update a blog from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1 and getting nowhere with the automatic updater.
I replaced the wp-admin and wp-includes directories, and updated the remaining files, and then I got a blank page.
Replace the old wp-admin and wp-includes directories and it all works fine again. Good job I renamed them instead of deleting!
Was there a question here? ^:)
Have you tried the manual install? http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Detailed_Instructions
Okay, I’ve just manually upgraded. I can now reach the dashboard, but the blog pages continue to be blank. I haven’t re-installed any plugins or my custom theme, so the installation at this point is totally vanilla. Any further ideas?
I assume that your wp-config is set up correctly?
Sorry, I don’t have any better ideas, not an expert. Wish I could help more. I just wanted to try and cheer you up by pointing at the irony between your domain and your pages being blank 🙂
enthusemarc Check the config.php file for a blank line at the end. Rename the plugins folder (I assume your old plugin sre there, just disabled).
Can you post a URL?
hairydog Not much in index.php,
<?php /* Short and sweet */ define('WP_USE_THEMES', true); require('./wp-blog-header.php'); ?>
The index.php is the one that came in the 3.1.1 upgrade, unedited.
My wp-config is the same as it was this morning, before I made the upgrade. (I tried changing the line
removing the “./”, no luck. I’ve since changed it back.
I’ve also just checked that it wasn’t a cache problem, nor a browser-specific thing. It isn’t.
I’m sure this is going to something very simple, but right now I don’t know what else to try.
kmessinger: there is no blank line at the end of wp-config. (I remember that solving a problem in an earlier upgrade, years ago.)
Have you tried:
– deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).
– switching to the Twenty Ten theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.
– resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems.
– re-uploading the wp-admin and wp-includes folders from a fresh download of WordPress.
I decided to try again.
I removed everything except wp-config.php and the wp-content directory.
Uploaded the 3.1.1 files again, and this time it worked!
Well, something just went right. Blog pages are now loading, after a fashion. One of the following seems to have done the trick:
• deactivating Akismet (the only active plugin on the site at present)
• renaming the plugins folder to something WP would not recognise
• refreshing the wp-admin folder (for the second time)
Now to reintroduce plugins and themes. I’ll let you know how it goes, and thanks to all…
- The topic ‘3.1.1 update broke my site completely’ is closed to new replies.