Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Thread Starter echodave

(@echodave)

Good news!

Same issue – very irritating that this isn’t being addressed. I’ve got 4 other blogs that don’t have the issue.

Thread Starter echodave

(@echodave)

Okay, so let’s walk through what’s different about the one that has the issue.

– Are all of the configurations the same?

– Do they all use the same naming convention and pathing? I.e., are they all sitting at “somedomain.com/blog”, or are some configured differently than others?

– Are they all sitting on the same server?

If you have no issues with three…but you do with number four…then to me, you’re looking at something that’s different or “wrong” with that one instance as opposed to things in general.

Find the break in the pattern, and you’ll find your fix for #4.

Thread Starter echodave

(@echodave)

Sorry – “the fix for #5” since you have four working šŸ™‚ I should read more before I hit “post”…

Here are my findings.

1. Start on version 2.2 (works)
    2. Upgrade to 3.0.5 IIS (cant get into admin, but main site works)
    3. Upgrade to 3.1 (redirect loop on main site, fixed with plugin, cant get into admin)
    4. Restore back to 2.2 (everything works fine)

This is all done on the same server.

Thread Starter echodave

(@echodave)

When you say “upgrade to 3.0.5 IIS”…are you jumping straight from 2.2 to 3.0.5, or are you doing the incremental upgrades along the way?

I went straight to 3.0.5, was that bad? I didnt realize I needed to do incrementals.

@echodave – the only difference is that WP on the one in question is installed in the root rather than a /blog directory.

The ones that work:
    http://406northlane.com/blog/
    http://quit4today.com/blog/
    http://talkflop.com/blog

The one that DOESN’T work:
    http://blog.killthecan.org/

At this point, they’re all on 3.1. I’ve tried backing the “bad” one down a version but that didn’t seem to work either. All plugins have been deleted (not deactivated) at this point. Could it be a theme issue?

Ok so here is my story with a working ending.

I was on 2.2 so I upgrade to every point up to 3.0.5 and tested along the way. It worked! I am now on 3.0.5. When I say every point I mean 2.2->2.3->2.5->2.6->2.7->2.8IIS->2.9IIS->3.0IIS->3.05IIS

Thanks for the patience here, I am fine with 3.0.5, dont think I need 3.1 anyway. Ive been on 2.2 for so long seeing this new admin im like WOW.

Back at home tonight, and I can login just fine – looks like I’m having the same issue as @echodave. Any thoughts on a course of action?

VERY weird… I’ve logged out and even rebooted my home computer… STILL can get in just fine. What’s going on here?

I spoke too soon… tried upgrading another instance to 3.1 and same issue – cannot login to admin again. Very strange. I somehow got 3.1 working fine in one instance, but not another (same IIS web servers and database server).

Just realized… the other “difference” between the “bad” instance and the others… that’s the only one running IIS. Might be time to migrate.

I was also experiencing problems with a fresh 3.1 install on IIS 6. I was getting a redirect loop when trying to access the front-end of the site which I solved by installing a plug-in, but later realized that jquery was failing to load correctly on the back-end. After trying to chase down a solution to the javascript problem I decided to the just downgrade per the instructions detailed by @echodave above.

I have a feeling that IIS is behind the problems (it usually is with phantom problems like these on our wp installs), but I’m not capable of accurately diagnosing that.

The downgrade was totally painless so I think I’ll just hold off on 3.1 for now.

i must say this is not a problem with IIS since I am having same issues on linux with fresh install of 3.1 with just one theme and just one plugin.nothing else.over past few days I did at least 10 installs on different databases and each and every time same thing happens.only the computer that I run install at can login,all other computers are unable to login to admin area (all browsers tested – IE,Chrome,Firefox)on 4-5 PCs. All browsers were totally cleaned (cache,cookies…) and still, after a fresh clean install without any plugins and themes admin cant login. so I must say,after being thrilled by moving from joomla to wp,whis kind of glitch is really fucked up.And I tried well,every thing that I could find on the internet.it just doesnt work.on a perfectly good LAMP server (I have root access on it)

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘3.04 -> 3.1 upgrade, win2k, IIS5, cannot login to Admin’ is closed to new replies.