• Since upgrading to 3.0.3, I have been receiving tons of emails from my WordPress telling me I have a new comment pending on my site. Clearly from the content within the emails it is clear these are not legitimate comments but in fact spam.

When I log into my control panel (or use the iPhone app) to moderate these new “comments”, no items are listed in the Pending queue. This would mean Akismet has successfully recognized the Spam. However, I still receive emails from the WordPress system confusing the spam as a legitimate content.

So why am I receiving emails all of a sudden? Anyone else having a similar problem?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Are you also using the latest version of the Akismet plugin, 2.5.1?

Thread Starter JeepBeat

(@jeepbeat)

Hi, yes. I am using 2.5.1.

Akismet now tracks a history for each comment. If you look at the history for one of these comments that may give us a better idea of what is going on.

I’m having this same problem.

Here’s what was in the comment history for the last spam comment I was notified about:
    10 hours ago – Akismet caught this comment as spam during an automatic retry.
    10 hours ago – Akismet was unable to check this comment (response: ), will automatically retry again later.

Sounds like your server has periodic issues connecting to akismet.com to check comments for spam.

Is this a new behavior? I don’t want to get en email every time there’s a connection error. Much better would be if I only got en email after three failed attempts or something along those lines.

Previous versions of the plugin simply ignored connection problems. Now it reschedules checks when it finds a failure.

If you are having that many failures, that frequently I recommend contacting your hosting provider to help pin down why.

I’ll try, but I’m not sure they’re going to be super responsive or able to do a lot to help. Regardless, the new behavior is pretty awful. It’s great that the plugin is rescheduling a retry now; I just don’t want to receive an email because of it.

Thread Starter JeepBeat

(@jeepbeat)

Here is an example from one of the Spam comments I received. It’s similar to Chengas’:

10 hours ago – Akismet caught this comment as spam during an automatic retry.
    11 hours ago – Akismet was unable to check this comment (response: ), will automatically retry again later.

And I agree with Chengas: I doubt my hosting provider will be responsive over a vague inquiry such as WordPress spam server checks.

Is this a possible flaw in the new Akismet filter? Why would our servers, for example, have trouble processing a request like this from WordPress?

Each comment is scanned by akismet.com, if your server can’t reach akismet.com then it won’t be able to check if the comment is spam or not.

Thread Starter JeepBeat

(@jeepbeat)

Is there an official way of logging a bug with WordPress? Or feature request?

Core WordPress tickets are at core.trac.wordpress.org

Post the link to the bug here if you file one. It makes sense that the plugin can’t tell whether the comment is spam until it reaches akismet.com, but I’d prefer not to be emailed on the first failed attempt.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

Is there an official way of logging a bug with WordPress?

Yes, please follow this guide:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Reporting_Bugs

Thread Starter JeepBeat

(@jeepbeat)

OK, I’m going to submit a bug.

It’s out of control. I think I need to disable comments because the amount of spam emails coming through is unmanageable.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘3.0.3 – Sending Comment/Spam Emails, Nothing In Queue’ is closed to new replies.