• Trying to use the automated upgrade to 3.0.3 from 3.0.1 failed. Is there a way to determine why the failure?

Cheers

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You should check the php error logs *not* the iis or system error logs.

the PHP Error logs can be found by checking where they are pointed to in the php.ini (generally the php.ini in c:/program files/php or c:/windows)

If you look at the php error logs it should show what errors were coming up, with my IIS system it was missing a file on upgrade which relates to this:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10287
    http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/16099

Then again, that’s my IIS system – with all windows systems there’s generally a ton of differences between setups from one machine to the next.

I would like to know more about ‘what’ failed, did it come up with a failed to upgrade message, did it come up with white blank screens? did it lock up your machine on upgrade? did it just not finish the upgrade? You were a bit vague on the symptom description of the failure itself.

I just wanted to say kudos to @brian Layman here for his detailed answer.

Also @tony muffin, if you can’t get the answer here on the support forum you might be able to get an answer at WordPress Answers as the questions there tend to be from technical people instead of end users.

Thread Starter tonymuffin

(@tonymuffin)

The only error messages are described in my post on page 1.

There is another thread going on regarding what happened after the 1st failed attempt to upgrade.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/after-wp-upgrade-login-credentials-are-now-required?replies=5#post-1852310

It is also an interesting read. I was accused of “bumping the topic” which is a phrase I was not familiar with until after Googling it. Apparnetly some of my posts were removed by the moderator.

I explained that I didn’t know what that meant and after realizing the meaning also explained that was not what I was doing at all but rather appealing for help as my site had been inaccessible for hours. After a number of hours with nothing concret to go on to fix the situation I restored the server/site using the snapshot I took just prior to the attempted upgrade.

Yeah, if you were the only one posting to your own thread, you were “bumping” – intentionally or not. That’s frowned upon not just here, but on every forum. Don’t worry about it though. It’s pretty common and people realize that when a site is down, people want to get attention to their thread. That’s why it is just a warning in passing – initially.

You did the right thing in rolling back – though perhaps you waited longer than you should have. Having a backup of the db and files right before the update is done is always important, if often neglected.

I’d recommend you setup a duplicate site for testing this again. Then you won’t put your live site at risk.

(@tonymuffin)

That’s a good idea and one I have been thinking about as well. The thing that is interesting to me is that I have never previously had any problems using the automated update from previous WP versions.

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

Has anything changed on your server?

I know that a lot of people who use *nix boxes got a nasty shock when cPanel upgraded and goobered permissions (like me… still annoyed at that one). Even the normal minor releases we don’t think about have weird quirks that shoot us in the foot if we’re not looking :/

(I only deleted the posts that said ‘bump’ or ‘Anyone?’ cause the rest were useful. It’s a gamble sometimes.)

(@tonymuffin)

Nothing has changed on the server.

I am not using CPanel as explained in the other thread. Also, the deleted posts are in the other thread as I mentioned.

Agreed. Something has changed. You have a problem that others haven’t yet reported. If you are having the problem, someone else will likely run into it too.

Though, in the end, it is up to you. If you want to go ahead and get your system running so you can concentrate on the things you need to concentrate on to further a successful WordPress site, that’s fine. If you want to try and duplicate the issue and report your findings as a ticket allowing you to contribute to the furthering of the project, that’s great too.

You stand at a fork in the road, weary traveler.

(@tonymuffin)

Excuse me… the only things that have changed on the server would be the Windows Updates which are performed on a regular basis.

(@tonymuffin)

Yes. All is working now as I indicated. The WP Dashboard shows that the second attempt at manually updating to 3.0.3 worked.

The only issue now is that I was unable to perform the automated update of Akismet. It failed in the process with the error message I mention on the page 1 of this post.

As indicated, I attempted a manual update but for some reason now Akismet is no longer showing in the Dashboard … and… whenever I try to access the Pluggin menu on the Dashboard it prompts me for my IIS Admin credentials. Only the Pluggin menu item does this. Once I enter my IIS Admin credentials I am able to access the WP Dashboard pluggin menu but as stated Akismet is not displayed.

Actually the “Agreed something changed” was in reply to your “I have never previously had any problems using the automated update from previous WP versions.” I’d not refreshed and seen Ipstenu’s reply.

I didn’t say that your server changed, I said something changed – thinking it was quite likely something in WordPress.

That said, Ipstenu didn’t say you ran cpanel. In fact he acknowledged that he was talking about *nix systems as opposed to IIS. He was using CPanel as an example of an automatic update that are performed on a regular basis. Windows Updates are a great parallel to this and they do screw things up on occasion whether they come out regularly or not. Even an antivirus software update could impact this. Last year an antivirus update from one of the big players declared a core Windows file to be virus laden. It resulted in thousands of systems being unbootable. So I wouldn’t discount Windows update as a source.

Fact of the matter is – we don’t know what the source is. Something has changed…

Posting to remove myself from the notifications of responses to this thread.

tonymuffin, windows update can update your IIS server.

As for how things work, when wordpress downloads anything it goes to the php temporary directory assigned in the php.ini then gets processed at the location wordpress can use it.

If ALL upgrades like akismet and what not are unable to complete due to the copy then it is more then likely an issue with the permissions on your temporary directory for the php uploads.

The prompting of credentials is interesting… probably an important clue

(@tonymuffin)

yeah… that was what was so interesting after the 1st failed manual attempt to upgrade. The Blog site itself suddenly was prompted for the IIS Admin credentials just to access the blog. That had never happened before. As mentioned rolling back to the backup (3.0.1) that issue went away.

(@tonymuffin)

Thanks Brian. I was merely just remembering that the only thing that has or would have changed was Windows Update which is why I said “excuse me”. Yes, I am aware that Ipstenu didn’t say I ran CPanel. I was merely stating that I didnt’ as in the previous threads others were Indicating I needed to check that. And yes, I am very aware that Windows Updates include updates to IIS. And indeed… we are not sure what happened but something indeed changed.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • The topic ‘3.0.3 automated upgrade fails’ is closed to new replies.