• Hello there,

is recently created my wordpress website on the domain:
    example.com/example1 (correspond to WP Site Address URL)
    The same for WordPress Address (URL)

I have also done a 301 redirection with url hide from a completely other domain, like:
    myhouse.com

The URL hide is necessary because the domain http://www.myhouse.com has to show up instead of example.com/example1

The problem I have now, is that when I clic on the logo of my website which is linked to WP site Address URL, which is example.com/example1, the domain myhouse.com isn’t shown anymore. Instead example.com/exemple1 is shown.

So my question is: Is it possible to have always shown up the right domain myhouse.com?
    And if yes, what do I have to do.

Thank you so much in advance!

Tonie

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Perhaps it goes without saying, the easiest way to make that happen is to create the WordPress on the domain myhouse.com …

I think maybe there’s a bit of confusion here with regard to terminology, I’ll try to sort it out and answer your question more directly.

Websites really are not created on domains, they are created on hosts. And then one (or more) domain is assigned or directed to that host.

So in your case, you can direct domain myhouse.com to your host where you already created the site. Most likely this is accomplished via a DNS “A” record which points to the IP address of the host. And you probably should remove the 301/hideurl before you attempt create the “A” record. You will know this step is done correctly when you can navigate to myhouse.com and the site appears and shows address example.com/example1.

Now all you have to do is change the site_url to myhouse.com …

Here’s a good reference: https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

Thread Starter tonieemail

(@tonieemail)

Thanks santeven,
    sorry for the confusion.
    You are right It would have been the easiest way to create the website on the same hosting provider as the domain.
    Actually i build a website for client of mine who owns à .cz domain parked at a domain provider in Czechia and who didn’t want to move his domain to another provider. (This domain I call the “Target”)
    So I bought a domain and webspace at a hoster I am convenient with and where I finally build the website. (This domain I call “placeholder”)
    Once the website finished I asked the domain provider in czechia to redirect his domain with hidurl “myhouse.com” to the domain and host where i build up the website “example.com/example1”.
    It works fine, but:
    As soon as a visitor click on a link which calls the “WP_SITEURL” (in WP Config) the “Target”-domain isn’t showing up anymore, and the “Placeholder”-domain is taking place.
    So my question is:
    Is it possible to configure in the backend of my wordpress website anything to hide the “placeholder”-domain so that only the “Target”-domain would be visible?
    Or is there perhaps another strategy to do so?

Thank you in advance

Tonie

You are right I

Yes, I think I understand. The hideurl only works on the first click. I think the only way is as I described.

More specifically, ask the domain providor in Czechia to remove the 301hideurl and to put in place the DNS “A” record. Then after the DNS is propagated and tested as I wrote above you can set the “Target” as WP_SITEURL !

Thread Starter tonieemail

(@tonieemail)

Dear Martin,

may I come back to your answer. I didn’t followed your suggestions so far but I have to do it now, because my client is starting SEO Marketing and the kind of 301 redirection isn’t optimal at all.

So when I ask the Czechian provider to put in place the DNS “A” record to the IP of my hoster where the website is hosted (shared hosting), what do I have to do that it will show up my website which is saved in www/website?

Sorry if this question sounds like really silly for you.

I hope you can help

Best regards
    Tonie

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘301 redirection with URL hide for WP Menu’ is closed to new replies.