Support » Fixing WordPress » 3.0 Update has changed all accented characters to codes

• the milkman

(@johnbthemilkman)

I have just upgraded to v3.0 and all the accented characters in my posts and pages have been changed to codes making a nonsense of the entries, e.g.
    cafés to cafés
    São Pedro de Balsemão to São Pedro de Balsemão
    crème to crème
    Buçaco to Buçaco
    etc.

Is there a fix for this or do I need to restore the backup and revert to 2.9?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Check your wp-config.php DB_CHARSET and make sure it is the same value as before the upgrade. Meaning look at the 2.9.2 version of your wp-config.php file…

Thread Starter the milkman

(@johnbthemilkman)

I upgraded from 2.9.1 and there was no DB_CHARSET in the old wp-config.php. I’ve also checked in all my old wp-config.php files since November 2008.

What was the old default DB_CHARSET? It is currently set to utf8. What are the other options?

Hi,

Try to comment out the DB_CHARSET line in wp-config.php

Thread Starter the milkman

(@johnbthemilkman)

Thanks, commenting out the DB_CHARSET line in wp-config.php works. But does it still mean there may be a problem in the future?

Is there a way of converting the database to utf8 to avoid that possibility?

There should be no issue but if you’re interested in converting your database to UTF-8, I wrote a walk-through a few years ago : http://www.skyminds.net/2008/04/14/wordpress-25-et-encodage-utf8/

It’s in French but you can have it translated via Google.

i have commented the -define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’);- line in my wp-config.php but i still get the weird chars… like this ó instead of an o with an accent, can anyone help?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘3.0 Update has changed all accented characters to codes’ is closed to new replies.