• Resolved josefdunne

(@josefdunne)

My wordpress 3.0 is stuck in maintenance mode, after I tried to upgrade a plugin, the plugin upgrade failed stating:-

“Failed to create directory /public_html”

Now the whole site even the /wp-admin just shows this message:

“Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.”

Even if maintenance mode is enabled, I should still be able to access /wp-admin no?

Any help!?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • I agree with megaperls. The bulk upgrade feature definitely needs more work. IMO, it is a step backwards the way it’s implemented right now. I’ve had the same issues as stated here, plus one other. In one instance when I used the bulk upgrade on All-In-One-SEO plugin, it stated that upgrade was successful. When I went back to the plugins area right after that, it still showed that All-In-One-SEO needed to be upgraded. So for now I’m back to using download / unzip / upload in order to be certain an upgrade succeeds without taking down the whole website.

Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.

This stupid idea….,

this totally sucks…

I deleted .maintenance as instructed by FTP but the site just appeared as a blank page in Firefox. Using IE, I got an error message that indicated a plugin that had failed in the upgrade process and was thus preventing the site from loading.

So, if you have an unreachable site after deleting .maintenance, I suggest you do as I did and load it in IE to find o ut which plugin is causing the error. Then, using FTP, update that plugin by downloading the most recent version and overwriting the one in your wp-content/plugins folder.

It worked for me… thankfully!

This issue is one that needs dealing with immediately guys…

This happened to me twice. The first time WP eventually came out of maintenance mode, the second time it didn’t. This solution helped — thanks. But it’s definitely a problem.

I tried deleting the maintenance file, but I still can’t login.. I just keep getting this message
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function set_current_screen()

any suggestions?

jennpaik, did you ever get this problem resolved?

I had this problem while updating a theme and might have a different solution. Instead of deleting the .maintenance file, I looked inside it and recognized a unix timedate stamp 1287155241. I used an online unix time conversion tool and it translates to sometime after 3pm this afternoon. It was 10:36am, so I used the same time conversion tool to create a unix time of 10:37am and pasted that into the .maintenace file. 30 seconds later my site was back online.

here is a copy of my .maintenance timestamp for 10/15/2010 10:37am
    <?php $upgrading = 1287139020; ?>

and here’s the url to the conversion tool I used
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

I hope this helps!

Zilch, zero, nada….

I have no .maintenance file. Yes I can see hidden files, I am logged into the server as root, I can see it all…

Tried editing the wp-activate file as well, no luck there either.

It’s a new clean installation, so an easy fix, I can wipe and start over, only losing about 30 minutes worth of work in the process but if this had been a long standing site and cause a huge loss I’d be PO’d.

The problem happened when I uploaded a theme, and then tried to update it. Got a message saying it couldn’t delete the old version, then when I tried to click off to another page… Maintenance mode….

~C

EDIT: 2 minutes after I made this post, 20 minutes or so after the problem occurred, I hit refresh on the browser again and the site came up…

Argh. Same problem, even with an 3.0.3 install with only Akismet installed. Tried to update Akisment and Maintenance Mode (extended hang) -> Plugin failed to update, though site back up.

Hosted on a Servint VPS. All the usual permissions.

Today, March 2, 20111, I’m having the “maintenance issue”. Is this a forever problem?

I deleted .maintenance.

I created plugins.hold and a blank plugins folder.

Also changed wp-settings to block //wp_maintanance().

Deleted /upgrade.

I am still getting a 500 or blank page when I try to access my admin pages.

What other terms do I search for to get answers?

Had to resort to a manual upgrade. No more automatic upgrades.

litlnemo

(@litlnemo)

Just ran into this myself. Deleting .maintenance worked. I was updating 2 plugins. One worked and the other one seems to have failed. It was Podpress. It’s not activated anyway, so I’m just not going to update it.

ukthom

(@ukthom)

This has happened to me EVERY time I upgrade a plugin. I think there’s a bug with 3.1.1 with regards to automatic upgrading. Hasn’t been a problem until I did the latest upgrade. Not a massive problem, but supremely annoying.

Bradley A.

(@thatjediguy)

Same problem as everyone else:

My wordpress 3.0 is stuck in maintenance mode, after I tried to upgrade a plugin, the plugin upgrade failed stating:

“Upgrade failed. Could not remove old plugin.”

Now the whole site even the /wp-admin just shows this message:

“Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.”

I deleted .maintenance but it didn’t work.

I created plugins.hold and a blank plugins folder.

This worked, so then I started activating plugins one at a time, then refreshing my blog page.

Finally turned out that a whole different plugin could not be activated for some reason or other. Since I hadn’t even gotten to upgrading that plugin yet, and it had worked before trying to upgrade the other plugin, I’m stumped as to why it would start interfering now.

But anyway, deleted the offending plugin, manually put the new one in, and now everything is fine.

This has been happening since the last version of WP was released, so it’s definitely a problem on their end.

Definitely no more automatic upgrades for me, either, until they get this fixed.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘3.0 Stuck in Maintenance Mode after failed plugin upgrade’ is closed to new replies.