The Support Forums will be in read-only mode for a scheduled maintenance window on 01 September 2016 14:00 UTC - 20:00 UTC. More information.

[resolved] 3.0 Stuck in Maintenance Mode after failed plugin upgrade (32 posts)

  1. Bradley A.
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Same problem as everyone else:

    My wordpress 3.0 is stuck in maintenance mode, after I tried to upgrade a plugin, the plugin upgrade failed stating:

    "Upgrade failed. Could not remove old plugin."

    Now the whole site even the /wp-admin just shows this message:

    "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute."

    I deleted .maintenance but it didn't work.

    I created plugins.hold and a blank plugins folder.

    This worked, so then I started activating plugins one at a time, then refreshing my blog page.

    Finally turned out that a whole different plugin could not be activated for some reason or other. Since I hadn't even gotten to upgrading that plugin yet, and it had worked before trying to upgrade the other plugin, I'm stumped as to why it would start interfering now.

    But anyway, deleted the offending plugin, manually put the new one in, and now everything is fine.

    This has been happening since the last version of WP was released, so it's definitely a problem on their end.

    Definitely no more automatic upgrades for me, either, until they get this fixed.

  2. miCRoSCoPiC_eaRthLinG
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I faced the same issue THRICE in WordPress 3.1.3 (and also in early 3.1) while updating a plugin. Got stuck in maintenance mode and simply removing the .maintenance file NEVER worked for me.

    In my case what I had to do was:

    1. Delete the .maintenance file
    2. Delete the affected plugin folder entirely from wp-content/plugins/
    3. Pay attention to this step as this can be the root cause for many. Under wp-content you'll find a new folder named upgrade. Clear out whatever you find under this folder. If you have shell access do a rm -rf upgrade/* or manually remove all files and folders from this dir.

    You system WILL start working again after this.

    P.S. If anyone's wondering if it's got to do with restricted shell / permissions - I'm on a VPS with full access to all parts of the server. So it isn't an issue about shared / non-permissive hosting.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic