WordPress.org

Support

Support » How-To and Troubleshooting » [Resolved] 3.0 Menu just hurt me big

[Resolved] 3.0 Menu just hurt me big

• Yeah – I already had child menus, etc and spent several hours of time customizing them. The new 3.0 just blew them all away. Now, I have to go place the child menus manually when I already had it. Why can’t it just do that automatically? Some of my menus are named similarly because they are similar information but for different categories i.e., I have 3 parent categories – Canada, US, International. Each of them has a child category – Parent information and each of those has three – baby, toddler and teen – my dilemma is – I don’t know which of the teen resources goes under what parent resource and which parent resources category goes to what country. Now what?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How did you have menus working before? via a template tag or function? Which one?

This is my nav header which is no longer working. It’s in the template. The problem is that WordPress didn’t save any of my heirachical structure that I had set up with the menu. It would be nice if I could just put the parent categories in the new 3.0 menu plug-in and it recognized all the children below it and their children. I don’t even see an option for that.

<?php arras_above_nav() ?>
    <div id="nav">
    	<div id="nav-content" class="clearfix">

<div id="searchbar">
    		<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/searchform.php'); ?>
    	     </div>

<?php
    	if ( function_exists('wp_nav_menu') ) {
    		wp_nav_menu( array( 'sort_column' => 'menu_order', 'menu_class' => 'sf-menu menu clearfix') );
    	} elseif ( function_exists('pixopoint_menu') ) {
    		pixopoint_menu();
    	} else { ?>
    		<ul class="sf-menu menu clearfix">
    			<li><a href="<?php bloginfo('url') ?>"><?php _e( arras_get_option('topnav_home') ); ?></a></li>
    			<?php
    			if (arras_get_option('topnav_display') == 'pages') {
    				wp_list_pages('sort_column=menu_order&title_li=');
    			} else if (arras_get_option('topnav_display') == 'linkcat') {
    				wp_list_bookmarks('category='.arras_get_option('topnav_linkcat').'&hierarchical=0&show_private=1&hide_invisible=0&title_li=&categorize=0&orderby=name');
    			} else {
    				wp_list_categories('hierarchical=1&orderby=name&hide_empty=1&title_li=');
    			}
    			?>

</ul>
    	<?php } ?>

<ul class="quick-nav clearfix">
    			<?php if ($feed == '') : ?>
    				<li><a id="rss" title="<?php printf( __( '%s RSS Feed', 'arras' ), esc_html( get_bloginfo('name'), 1 ) ) ?>" href="<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>"><?php _e('RSS Feed', 'arras') ?></a></li>
    			<?php else : ?>
    				<li><a id="rss" title="<?php printf( __( '%s RSS Feed', 'arras' ), esc_html( get_bloginfo('name'), 1 ) ) ?>" href="<?php echo $feed; ?>"><?php _e('RSS Feed', 'arras') ?></a></li>
    			<?php endif; ?>

<?php $twitter_username = arras_get_option('twitter_username'); ?>
    			<?php if ($twitter_username != '') : ?>
    				<li><a id="twitter" title="<?php printf( __( '%s Twitter', 'arras' ), esc_html( get_bloginfo('name'), 1 ) ) ?>" href="http://www.twitter.com/<?php echo $twitter_username ?>/"><?php _e('Twitter', 'arras') ?></a></li>
    			<?php endif ?>

<?php $facebook_profile = arras_get_option('facebook_profile'); ?>
    			<?php if ($facebook_profile != '') : ?>
    				<li><a id="facebook" title="<?php printf( __( '%s Facebook', 'arras' ), esc_html( get_bloginfo('name'), 1 ) ) ?>" href="<?php echo $facebook_profile ?>"><?php _e('Facebook', 'arras') ?></a></li>

<?php endif ?>
    		</ul>
    	</div><!-- #nav-content -->
    </div>

This also means that EVERY time I create a new sub-category, I will have to MANUALLY go in and enter it.

It looks like whoever wrote your code anticipated the 3.0 menus and calls wp_nav_menu, a function new to WP 3.0, if that function exists.

You can keep it from doing that (and thereby presumably use your previous system) by changing

wp_nav_menu( array( 'sort_column' => 'menu_order', 'menu_class' => 'sf-menu menu clearfix') );
    		pixopoint_menu();

to

/*
    */
    	if ( function_exists('pixopoint_menu') ) {
    		pixopoint_menu();

(I’m commenting out the code that calls wp_nav_menu)

AWESOME! Thank you very much. That was a huge help.

filosofo, that fixed the same problem for me. Thanks!

works like a charm!
    Thank you so much!

Nice! Due to great result that you obtain with the Google Search I donĀ“t have to expend a lot of time making changes.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘[Resolved] 3.0 Menu just hurt me big’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar