Support » Plugin: Pods - Custom Content Types and Fields » 3 generation pedigree

• Resolved Terence Milbourn

(@pubdirltd)

Hi,

I am new to PODS and this is my first project. I am using WordPress v5.2 and PODS v2.7.12.

I need to create a database of horses which can also be made to show their breeding pedigrees back for three generations.

So far I have planned the project as a custom post type horse with relationship fields breed, type, colour, and gender, all related back to similarly named custom taxonomies for each.

Each of the 4 custom taxonomies has between 10-30 fields and there are also an additional 15 custom fields needed to provide the complete information on each horse.

I am using PODS in conjunction with Elementor which seems to be making the input/output forms much easier to design and create. However, that still leaves me with the overall logic to resolve, and as a first project, it’s definitely not a “no brainer”.

For me, at least.

Can anyone point me to any similar use-case, how-to or tutorial which can help me? Failing that, any words of wisdom as to how to go about this?

Many thanks,

Terence.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Plugin Author Jim True

(@jimtrue)

We actually discussed this on our Slack Chat.

You would typically in this configuration (especially since you’re using the values for filtering) add breed, type, colour and gender as taxonomies to ‘horse’ so you can use it for filtering. Then you would manage the dam/sire through relationship fields to ‘horse’ and handle most filtering through FacetWP.

If you needed to create massive family tree situations, you could do those with PHP and ‘walk’ the traversals through Dam/Sire/offspring up to first progenitor.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘3 generation pedigree’ is closed to new replies.