WordPress.org

Forums

3 Column Templates (8 posts)

1. iKwak
    Posted 11 years ago #

Anybody using a 3 column template for version 1.0?
    I am in great need for a nice and clean 3 column template.

2. idahocline
    Posted 11 years ago #

I 'm currently testing WP1.0 and I am using a 3-column template....Normally end of this week I will upgrade my site. The CSS and the index will be available if you want.
    idahocline.net
    BTW: All the hacks I wrote for version 0.72 seems to work with 1.0 ! :o)

3. OperaManiac
    Posted 11 years ago #

4. idahocline
    Posted 11 years ago #

@NM : Hacks are added now... ;o)
    @iKwak: just go and see ZenGarden. Could also help you.... ;o)

5. iKwak
    Posted 11 years ago #

I was checking that page out (ZenGarden) and correct me if I am doing this correct.
    Choose a style I like to use.
    *Right click and view source to get the html code?
    And get the CSS from "# View This Design’s CSS."
    Is that it? Upload both html and css code and will it work with WordPress 1.0?

6. NuclearMoose
    Posted 11 years ago #

iKwak,
    The ZenGarden templates cannot be used as a "drag and drop" into WordPress. You will have to dissect the HTML a bit and work it into the INDEX.PHP file. The CSS will work just fine, as long as you have adapted the HTML portion.
    When you look in the INDEX.PHP file, you will see a bunch of PHP coding which is generally well commented. Some critical code which can't be tampered with is marked accordingly.
    WordPress doesn't create a page and then store it for when a person comes along to view it...it generates the page when requested, which is why the PHP is there, doing all that work assembling all the bits and pieces.
    There's no real reason why you can't adapt a theme from Zen Garden or anywhere else for that matter. It will just take a bit of time to learn how the HTML is done and then work out how to fit it into your INDEX.PHP file.
    If you pick a few simpler designs to start with, you can build up your understanding of the WP tools and how they interact with the presentation aspect of HTML, XHTML, and CSS.
    I hope that helps a bit. Let me know if I've managed to confuse the issue... :)
    Craig.

7. iKwak
    Posted 11 years ago #

I chose a design I like ( http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=http://www.fuzionlab.com/reflection/reflection.css ) and are all the templates on csszengarden copyrighted or free to use?
    Maybe, more designers will port new designs for WordPress version 1. :)

8. davidchait
    Posted 11 years ago #

The zengarden stuff is EXTREMELY specialized to the fixed content there....
    There are a number of us using three columns (mine is http://www.chait.net), but there are probably upwards of a dozen approaches, each with advantages and disadvantages. Do you want completely fixed width? Fixed sides but fluid center? Fluid sides? A footer that spans? Etc. There have been many links to sites that help get you started with the basic PHP and CSS needed for each style layout, you just need to plug the right pieces together in index.php and the CSS file.
    Yes, hopefully over time a bunch of us will get together and pool together a set of CSS templates (assuming index.php has enough wrappering now), plus any minor mods to the php, that implement a bunch of different approaches.
    The real issue is that templates are an exponential function. First, you pick the basic layout formation. Then, you pick sizing, coloring, imagery. Then you decide what stuff you want to move around between the columns. Also, you can have side-mid-side, side-side-mid, mid-side-side as positioning.... At the end of the day, we can pull together some examples, but individuals still will need to customize them until we have a large enough base of users working on templates that we have a real 'library' that you can just pick and choose from... ;)
    =d

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.