Title: 2FA causing incorrect password
Last modified: July 25, 2026

---

# 2FA causing incorrect password

 *  [greenbook123](https://wordpress.org/support/users/greenbook123/)
 * (@greenbook123)
 * [2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/2fa-causing-incorrect-password/)
 * I just set up 2FA on our siteand immediately have an issue that required me to
   use one of the recovery keys. 
   1) 2FA enabled2) Attempted to log in – sent to
   2FA screen3) 2FA email code received4) 2FA code accepted5) BUT, then shown incorrect
   password. My password is autosaved so it’s the exact same one I have been using.
   6) After multiple attemps I had to use a recovery key (thankfully they worked
   for me as other users have reported them not working). 7) The previous password
   that was ‘incorrect’ and is now correct and accepted, so I’ve been able to login.
   8) 2FA is already unticked after going straight to the settings, but shows that
   it will activate again in 1 hour. BUT, there doesn’t seem to be a way to turn
   it off at this stage… so it looks like it will auto reactive and then I’ve got
   the same issue again. Is deleting the plug-in the only solution here?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

 *  Plugin Support [brucewayne25](https://wordpress.org/support/users/brucewayne25/)
 * (@brucewayne25)
 * [2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/2fa-causing-incorrect-password/#post-18976057)
 * Hello,
 * 5. This behaviour looks like a caching issue. Can you duplicate the problem using
   another browser? Do you use any caching plugins?
   6. They were fixed a while ago
   and now work reliably.8. You can turn it on manually and then turn it off. This
   will disable it completely.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be [logged in](https://login.wordpress.org/?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Fwordpress.org%2Fsupport%2Ftopic%2F2fa-causing-incorrect-password%2F%3Foutput_format%3Dmd&locale=en_US)
to reply to this topic.

 * ![](https://ps.w.org/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/assets/icon-256x256.png?rev
   =2456910)
 * [Limit Login Attempts Security - Login Security, 2FA, Firewall, Brute Force Prevention](https://wordpress.org/plugins/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/)
 * [Frequently Asked Questions](https://wordpress.org/plugins/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/#faq)
 * [Support Threads](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/)
 * [Active Topics](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/active/)
 * [Unresolved Topics](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/unresolved/)
 * [Reviews](https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/limit-login-attempts-reloaded/reviews/)

 * 1 reply
 * 2 participants
 * Last reply from: [brucewayne25](https://wordpress.org/support/users/brucewayne25/)
 * Last activity: [2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/2fa-causing-incorrect-password/#post-18976057)
 * Status: not resolved