WordPress.org

Forums

2.9.1 Update Deleted Original Design?! (6 posts)

1. Sally Chapralis
    Posted 5 years ago #

I just updated my blog from 2.8.6 to 2.9.1. But the update deleted my original graphic design appearance and replaced it with something else?

2. @mercime
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 years ago #

Upgrade would not delete your theme folder. Site URL?

3. Unless of course you edited one of the default themes, instead of making a new theme folder or a child theme...

4. Sally Chapralis
    Posted 5 years ago #

I very much appreciate your responses.

However, when I responded to WordPress' "suggestion" that I update to 2.9.1., I took the precautions required by saving my posts in case something happened; WordPress never alerted me to other issues you mentioned.

Visitors can access my blog via my web site or directly. And, regarding themes, a colleague worked out the original design and just applied it to the blog. So I don't have WordPress theme.

5. Rule #1 of websites - Backup EVERYTHING. The Database, yes, but also all the files FTP'd to your server.

Rule #2 - Anytime someone else does something for you, make sure you know what it was.

These are the rules of ALL websites that you host. And, as sucky as it is, you just learned 'em the hard way. I'm sorry.

If you don't have a backup of your theme saved off your webserver, you're out of luck. WordPress updates the files that belong to WordPress, which includes the default theme. And yes, WordPress doesn't alert you on upgrades that it owns that folder, and yes, it probably should. But that doesn't help you.

Basically, no backup means no restore.

6. @mercime
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 years ago #

"And, regarding themes, a colleague worked out the original design and just applied it to the blog. "
    How about contacting your colleage if he/she has copy of customized theme? I have copies of themes I made for others in archive.

If all else fails, there are many free themes in WordPress repository,
    http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.