Support » Fixing WordPress » 2.7 has not resolved WP image upload problems

• I just upgraded to 2.7. The upload was easy. The new interface looks interesting.

However, I’m MOST disappointed to see the image upload problem is not resolved. I’m managing 4-5 blogs, ranging in versions from 2.3 to 2.7. Only the 2.3 is without image upload problems. The others I have resolved only by changing the security permissions to 777, which I really hate doing.

Now, with 2.7 even that is not working. What to do? PLEASE?!!! Why must this continuously be an issue?

BTW, I am both a MAC and PC user, also a Safari, Firefox, and I.E. I have problems with all of them.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • I’m not trying to be stupid. But, I just started building my blog site in WP 2.7. Still a newbie to all of the lingo and stuff but, I’m grasping most of it. Trying to figure out how to put a slideshow/photo gallery on my site in Column 3 or 4, not in the blog posting.

I looked under settings and don’t see “misc..” anywhere.

Can I get instructions on how to have a thumbnail slide show on the side scrolling as a viewer is on the main page?

Thanks for the assistance.

In doing some more research, I do not see “Gallery” on my dashboard listed under settings. How do I get that?

“Miscellaneous” is under “Settings” in left column, right at the bottom below “permalinks”

There is no “Gallery” on your dashboard unless you’ve installed a 3rd party plugin gallery. Then there might be. Otherwise WP doesn’t come with separate gallery management you just upload and add images to your posts/pages via the upload link in the editor. When you edit a post or page – at the top of the editing screen, look next to the words “upload/insert” – the funny looking symbol that looks like a tv screen.

Hope that helped

Could someone explain what this message means when I try to upload images? I’m using FileZilla Client and brand new to WordPress.org. At WordPress.com, posting images directly from my hard drive is so easy and I really prefer uploading photos that way instead of using FileZilla for everything. Here’s the message I get when trying to upload images:

Unable to create directory /usr/local/apache/sites/clientxxxx/mywebsite/htdocs/wp-content/uploads/2009/02. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

I’m a total noob as you can plainly see. Please help.

Please read the sticky and pay particular attention to #9.

Go to admin, settings, miscellaneous and make sure you have wp-content/uploads with no other slashes.

Thank you, kmessinger. I’ll try that.

I’m still having a problem uploading images. When I click on “Add media file from URL” at the right of Image URL I get a huge red X. What’s blocking my image from uploading? I right clicked on it. I was wondering if it were a FireFox add-on and disabled it but still got the same message. Then I switched to IE and got the same red X. I cllicked on my image properties and read the message “no.png”. The image at my FileZilla FTP site properties are 792bytes 16 x 16 pixels after resizing. What am I doing wrong (aside from driving myself crazy)?

The red x (I thought it was on the left) means the link is not correct or it is not an image file.

Please post the link here.

The image has to be where the “link” says it is.

Good luck.

Thank you so much again kmessinger.

My problem is fixed, kmessinger and thanks again for your help. I wasn’t aware that caps were crucial in adding URLs and that was why my pictures were not loading. I guess I missed a meeting (or did not read earlier threads carefully enough). Take care.

cilantroexpress

(@cilantroexpress)

I cannot solve it. everything works perfectly only if I give 777 permission…. which I will never do.

any idea? I am giving up……

kmessinger

(@kmessinger)

“Normally” you only give the folder 777 for the first upload. After that, for some reason, you can change it back to 755 and all should be fine.

cilantroexpress

(@cilantroexpress)

hi kmesinger.. thanks for your post..
    I have tried and I need to put 777 before each upload, then back to 755.
    I am pressing my host to check if they can do something about it but so far no good answers….

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘2.7 has not resolved WP image upload problems’ is closed to new replies.