Support » Installing WordPress » Is 2.6.5 legitimate?

• is that a legitimate version? it didn’t show up on my admin panel that I need to upgrade.

also at the footer at the bottom it shows:

You are using a development version (2.6.5). Cool! Please stay updated.

it always went by You are using <version>.

with the whole 2.6.4 thing, I will worry from now on.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • http://wordpress.org/development/2008/11/wordpress-265/

cant speak to the rest of your questions.

Yes that message is wrong and expect it to be fixed.

2.6.5 is a valid version!!!

Check your wp-includes/version.php file to be sure you are at 2.6.5.

The ‘You are using a development version (2.6.5). Cool! Please stay updated.’ message is NO LONGER displaying (6:48 EST).

Thread Starter zgj

(@zgj)

MichaelH, it is 23:06 EST, it still shows on my version (I downloaded from here by the way)…

ZGJ, went back and found two 2.6.5 blogs still showing the developement version message, but a third, the last one I updated earlier this evening, displays this “Thank you for creating with WordPress | Documentation | Feedback | Version 2.6.5”

Strange…

Thread Starter zgj

(@zgj)

Thank you for creating with WordPress | Documentation | Feedback | You are using a development version (2.6.5). Cool! Please stay updated.

does the version.php file in wp-includes………….does it get updated automatically (in the footer) or it looks at somewhere on the wordpress servers to see what the latest version are…?

Because the “update your wordpress” messages never appeared from my previous version 2.6.3.

Usually when I upgrade to a new version of wordpress I have to update the database, and when I did to 2.6.5 it said it was up to date. could that be the “issue”?

– Automatic update plugin couldn’t find 2.6.5
    – No database upgrade needed
    – “You are using a development version (2.6.5). Cool!” message exists in my footer

Despite all these WordPress installation seems normal.

[edit]
    That was before 8 hours. I re-downloaded 2.6.5 and tried to my localhost installation. No message @ footer about dev version this time but still no DB ugrade needed.

Those above was before 8 hours. I just re-downloaded 2.6.5 and tried to my localhost installation. No message @ footer about dev version this time but still no DB ugrade needed.

Can’t we just replace the changed files? Replacing everything seems like overkill for a few minor fixes.

Can’t we just replace the changed files? Replacing everything seems like overkill for a few minor fixes.

read much?

http://wordpress.org/development/2008/11/wordpress-265/

Changes from tags/2.6.3 at r9902 to tags/2.6.5 at r9902

tags/2.6.5/wp-includes/post.php (modified) (2 diffs)
    tags/2.6.5/wp-includes/version.php (modified) (1 diff)
    tags/2.6.5/wp-includes/feed.php (modified) (1 diff)
    tags/2.6.5/xmlrpc.php (modified) (2 diffs)
    tags/2.6.5/wp-admin/users.php (modified) (1 diff)

Some dev perhaps has a pack with just these files for all lazy bastards 🙂 ?

Thread Starter zgj

(@zgj)

mine now says Version 2.6.5

It is good, still it would be nice to get an answer from the developers as to:

1) why wasn’t the usual “new version, update” message showing up since 2.6.3 was what I was running before?
    2) why it wasn’t showing 2.6.5 instead of the whole “development version” thing.

Probably just a version.php that they forgot to replace/edit when the stable version was launched.

@zgj – question was asked on the wp-testers email list but didn’t see any developer response.

@gangleri–I don’t think it relates to the version.php file. I downloaded the distribution, unzipped on my local machine, FTP’ed those files to three blogs and two had the development type footer and one had the “Thank you for creating with WordPress | Documentation | Feedback | Version 2.6.5” footer.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Is 2.6.5 legitimate?’ is closed to new replies.