• I’ve just manually upgraded wp2.6.0 to wp2.6.2.

Firstly I turned off all the plugins and then followed the wordpress instructions to upgrade to 2.6.2 using WS-FTP.

The database was updated ok but :

Now I get “You don’t have permission to access /wordpress/wp-admin/ on this server.” when I try to log in to the Site Admin. I’ve tried logging out and going back in with two usernames with Admin rights both give the same error message

I’ve cleared all caches and cookies, requested via the lost password and received the reset password link and tried the supplied temporary password for Admin and for another username with Admin rights. Neither of them are accepted.

I hope someone has the answer out there as I’ve just about run out of ideas.

regards
    Kev Lewis
    http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Moderator Samuel Wood (Otto)

(@otto42)

WordPress.org Admin

Perhaps you need to fix the permissions of your files?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

Thread Starter photosbykev

(@photosbykev)

Thanks for the link Otto42 I check through the permissions set on my server and they look ok.

I’ve now discovered when I try to log in and get the “You don’t have permission to access /wordpress/wp-admin/ on this server.” message if I reload the main site I can access all the admin pages via the “edit this page” link that appears at the bottom of each page.

So the login IS working but I don’t get redirected directly to the Admin side of the installation. Very odd ???

Same problem with me.

Further than that, WP is losing my password all the time, ever since I upgraded.

Have you checked wp-config.php ?

Are all the top 3 settings correct?

// ** MySQL settings ** //

define('DB_NAME', 'Your_Database_name');
    // The name of the database

define('DB_USER', 'Your_Database_Admin_Username');
    // Your MySQL username

define('DB_PASSWORD', 'Your_Database_Admin_Password');
    // ...and password

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');
    // 99% chance you won't need to change this value

define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');
    Thread Starter photosbykev

(@photosbykev)

Ripose: wp-config.php settings are correct.

It seems that the login is working however it doesnt direct me to the wp-admin page. If I reload the site I can get to the admin section via the “edit this page” on the bottom of any page

Yes, the redirect seems to be broken, or atleast crippled.

If I access the admin via myblog.com/wp-admin it shows me the login screen regardless if I’m previously logged in or not, and always returns me to the login screen regardless of successful login or not.

However myblog.com/wp-admin/ (with trailing slash) redirects correctly with or without authentication in between.

IIRC this behaviour (requiring the trailing slash) wasn’t there in previous versions. To non-techy users this is also a possible cause of confusion and desperation. (Witnessed with my gf.)

I’m not sure we can call this resolved, but nikc’s fix worked for me. If I change the url to /wp-admin/ (with slash) instead of /wp-admin it seems to work.

Alternatively, /wp-login.php (without the redirect behind it) seems to work as well.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘2.6.0 > 2.6.2 upgrade. Lost access to Admin login’ is closed to new replies.