Support » Installing WordPress » 2.6 Install caused index.php to read “silence is golden”

• Believe it or not, after the 2.6 upgrade…this is what my index.php file says:

<?php
    // Silence is golden.
    ?>

What a horrible, horrible joke. Is anyone else having this issue?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • mrmist

(@mrmist)

Forum Janitor

That’s the index.php from the wp-content directory. Quite how it would have ended up in your root directory I do not know.

The root one should contain –

<?php
    /**
     * Front to the WordPress application. This file doesn't do anything, but loads
     * wp-blog-header.php which does and tells WordPress to load the theme.
     * @package WordPress
     */

/**
     * Tells WordPress to load the WordPress theme and output it.
     * @var bool
     */
    define('WP_USE_THEMES', true);

/** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
    require('./wp-blog-header.php');
    ?>

Same thing just happened to me and I also thought it was a cruel joke. Then I poked around some more and retraced my steps and realized that I did in fact copy and thus overwrite the index.php file, from my wp-contents folder to my site directory on accident.

If you were using the command-line approach like me you may have made the the following syntax mistake when copying over your current content to the upgrade folder prior to replacing the current content:

cp -rf ~/blog/wp-content/ .

The line is supposed to be:

cp -rf ~/blog/wp-content .

That extra slash will take the files *inside* of wp-content and copy them to your site directory, thus overwriting your index.php file with the useless one from wp-content.

Evidence that this happened included the fact that my plugin/ and theme/ folders were also copied into my site directory.. odd? and that the wp-content directory itself was not successfully copied over. I caught the latter error, but not the former until I saw my blank blog and the seemingly ill-humored index.php file which I thought came with the new upgrade 🙂

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘2.6 Install caused index.php to read “silence is golden”’ is closed to new replies.