• ok i have chmod’d my directories and blah blah. anytime i try and upload an image from my computer to insert in a post i get this error.

“http error”

and then it says in the image uploader “An error occurred in the upload. Please try again later.”

i am lost as to why this is happening. i have been using wordpress since the early days of 1 and i have never had this problem. it is also a fresh install of 2.5.

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 145 total)
  • shello

(@shello)

I had the same problem until now. I had my wordpress directory protected (.htaccess Auth…). As soon as I removed this, I got the uploader to work fine.

I’m using the “final release” of WordPress 2.5.

Can you elaborate on the (.htaccess Auth…) part of your response? How does .htaccess create protection to your wordpress directory? My .htaccess file in my website root directory is blank.

I had my host server admin bypass mod_security rules for my account and now it all works. In my case that was definitely the culprit. It sucks to have to deactivate security features just to use WP 2.5, so I hope WP comes up with it’s own solution in an update.

buzz

(@buzz)

The only way I can get uploads to work on my test install is to turn off permalinks and remove the mod rewrite code from .htaccess (not an option on my other blogs.)

skrummel

(@skrummel)

I have tried all the proposed .htaccess tricks, disabling plugins, changing permalinks, CHMOD’ing folders here there and over there – so far with no luck.

Then I ran into this post from raffo:

1) go to http://code.google.com/p/swfupload/
    2) download the latest pack
    3) from the folder FlashDevelop/flash9 copy the file swfupload_f9.swf
    4) paste it in your wordpress installation, and exactly int the folder /wp-includes/js/swfupload
    5) from the folder FlashDevelop copy the folder plugins
    6) paste it in your wordpress installation, and exactly in the folder /wp-includes/js/swfupload , so to overwrite the existing folder

Now that didn’t exactly work (same error), but I tried downloading the new Beta release: http://swfupload.googlecode.com/files/SWFUpload%20v2.1.0%20Beta%202.zip

And copied that into my wp-includes folder as stated above, and it worked!! Mind you you will get some errors under the upload window as WordPress isn’t expecting version 2.1.0, but it works perfectly. Also note that I tried this with a blank .htaccess file. Good luck, and enjoy a working WordPress 2.5.

raimy

(@raimy)

After trying everything folks have posted here, the fix skrummel posted worked for me. I do get all those error messages, but at least it does work.

skrummel

(@skrummel)

Glad it worked for you Raimy 🙂

I’ve posted up a set of more readable instructions (with added screenshots) on my blog nineteenhundredandyesterday.com

ldauzat

(@ldauzat)

hello guys,

even this solution do not solve my issue. I’ve also tried chmod and htaccess.
    Strangely enought WP2.5 works well with IE/winXP but it crash with Ubuntu/Firefox and WinXP/Firefox

really frustrating !

hexley

(@hexley)

I would like as many people to answer the below questions as possible:

1) OS your WP 2.5 install is on
    2) Version and type of webserver
    3) Version of php
    4) Do you have an .htaccess file at wp-admin/.htaccess
    5) Do you have .htaccess elsewhere
    6) Are you password protecting the entire wp-admin directory, or does your host or cpanel have this turned on?

I am near certain my previous post explains this. Assuming your permissions are correct, and your install is working, the reason this breaks is related to http auth password protection not being passed correctly to the flash uploader.

I can see this in my server logs, every time I try an upload, I see the 401 http status code error. I remove the security, or limit by my IP, and I am up and running.

I want to narrow it down, I posted a bug to trac, and it is slated as low priority and for 2.6 release.

afogle

(@afogle)

I just added 2.5 yesterday and I’m having a number of problems including file uploads. I tried it with both the visual editor on and off, but every time I click on one of the four “add media” boxes, it starts to load then takes me back to the index page.

Can anyone help so I don’t have to load everything through the ftp?

ldauzat

(@ldauzat)

==>Debian – latest
    ==>apache 2.x
    3) Version of php
    ==>5.2.0
    ==>no
    ==>yes /var/www-ssl/wordpress/.htaccess
    6) Are you password protecting the entire wp-admin directory, or does your host or cpanel have this turned on?
    ==>no

any idea ?

buzz

(@buzz)

RedHat Linux

Apache (version not listed)

3) Version of php
    PHP5 5.2.5

No

Root

No

gmetrail

(@gmetrail)

I was able to nail down the source of my problem… it is a private blog that requires a password through basic security to be able to read (Apache Auth feature). When I disable this, everything works fine. Looks like swfupload does upload the files in a strange way and that it is not using the existing connection that has ben authenticated.

Gérard

buzz

(@buzz)

FWIW, I contacted my host support about the upload problem. I stated that the only way I could upload in Fx was with permalinks disabled and mod_security enabled for async-upload.

Their reply (although it differs from my experience):
    =============
    Most likely the “permalink” rewrites are redirecting the Ajax calls to incorrect URLs, and this is why you have problems uploading files with the rewrites enabled. You should check this issue further with the WordPress authors.

Uploading with mod_security turned on however appears to be a different problem altogether. In fact, there are no problems to upload an image with mod_security turned ON with Internet Explorer. The upload fails however under Mozilla Firefox, with the following error listed in our logs:

[Mon Mar 31 14:46:18 2008] [error] [client 213.145.98.197] mod_security: Access denied with code 412. Error processing request body: Multipart: final boundary missing [severity “EMERGENCY”] [hostname “test.xxx.com”] [uri “/wp-admin/async-upload.php”]

This error basically means that mod_security found the upload request coming from Firefox to be malformed. This is a generic failure and it is not related to any mod_security rule in particular.

Since uploads from Mozilla pass the mod_security checks just fine in other cases, we suspect that this issue is again related to the Javascript/AJAX uploader that WordPress is using.

So, if you want to use Firefox to work with the current version of the uploading utility, your best choice is to disable mod_security for the async-upload.php file (as listed previously), as well as disable “permalinks”.

kretzschmar

(@kretzschmar)

I had server errors on our schoolhomepage.
    With a fresh database (utf-8) they are gone. Maybe the new upload doesn’t work with databases of older (<2.3) WordPress Versions?

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 145 total)
  • The topic ‘2.5 image upload’ is closed to new replies.