• Resolved matthews.rick

(@matthewsrick)

I installed Simply Static two days ago and am trying to generate a zip file to download a static snapshot of my site to my PC. My first attempt timed out, so I increased the maximum time from 60 to 3600, and attempted to Generage again. After 25 hours, the spinning icon is still spinning, but no new progress messages after the two lines below, the last of which appeared more than 20 hours ago.

[2023-05-26 10:30:08] Setting up
    [2023-05-26 10:31:09] Fetched 171824 of 171824 pages/files

Is it normal to take this long on a shared server? I am happy to wait if this could be considered normal for a site with 171K+ files. Is it plausible that it could take this long on such a site this size?

My site is on PHP 7.4 (ea-php74), on Hostgator. WordPress is version 6.2.2.

Thank you for any guidance you may offer.

The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Thread Starter matthews.rick

(@matthewsrick)

Update: I found where the zip files is being created. The size of the zip files grows to around 4.63 Gb, and then is deleted starts growing again. This continually repeats.

Is Simply Static running into a system file size limit and restarting?

Plugin Support sr293

(@sr293)

Hello @matthewsrick. I’m sorry to hear you are having an issue exporting your website. 171k+ is a very large export. It’s possible that you may be running out of resources in your hosting environment or a long-running process is being stopped. You may want to contact your hosting provider to see if they see any errors, possibly related to resource availability or long-running processes being halted.

Plugin Author patrickposner

(@patrickposner)

Hey @matthewsrick,

as @sr293 already mentioned – the export is a pretty large one.

While fetching and converting the pages/files will work because of the batch processing, creating the ZIP file itself will most likely fail (especially if no powerful VPS server is used).

We can’t create the ZIP file in batches, so the entire process is done in one run.

I would suggest you use the “Local Directory” export instead and zip the files manually (or via SSH).

Cheers,
    Patrick

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘25 hours and still spinning: any way to tell if Generate is still progressing?’ is closed to new replies.