WordPress.org

Forums

2.5 doesn't allow square brackets in HTML 'rel' tags (7 posts)

1. darrellberry
    Posted 7 years ago #

well then

i use the rather wonderful shadowbox.js to display image galleries on my site at http://www.darrell-berry.com.

in earlier versions, i could use shadowbox's tagging syntax to set up galleries in posts and pages using snippets like this:

[SNIP]

<a rel="shadowbox[gallery]" href="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/XXX/2240341276_7963027872_b.jpg" title="Nuke Them All @ Images 2 February 2008">Full-Screen Gallery</a>

[/SNIP]

HOWEVER in 2.5, the [gallery] text seems to get stripped out between database and the HTML returned to the client -- ie when i do View Source in my browser of a page including the above, it comes out as:

<a rel="shadowbox" href="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/XXX/2240341276_7963027872_b.jpg" title="Nuke Them All @ Images 2 February 2008">Full-Screen Gallery</a>

which breaks shadowbox (the [gallery] text is the bit which tags a bunch of images as being part of the same gallery!)

i'm guessing that the stripping out is down to some enhanced version 2.5 sanitising/XSS blocking? If so, its blocking valid XHTML (shadowbox-enabled XHTML validates correctly, so stripping the brackets out is taking out a valid construct, as i read it, and hence a bug!)

any thoughts?

d

2. WordPress 2.5 uses [gallery] as the shortcode for its own gallery functionality.

The only workaround would be to disable WordPress' gallery functions entirely. Add this to your theme's functions.php to do that:
    remove_shortcode('gallery');

3. Justin Tadlock

Posted 7 years ago #

Will shadowbox allow you to use rel="shadowbox[gallery1]"? That seems like an easier thing to do.

4. darrellberry
    Posted 7 years ago #

thanks guys -- the 'gallery' tag for shadowbox is arbitrary, so i change that and it works... weird to run into a 'namespace collision' within 5 mins of upgrade... maybe as a matter of principle, all WP-related tags etc should start wp- (like much of the code does/did!) -- much less likely IMHO to run into naming collisions with other tools if WP used wp-gallery, for example!

anyways

thanks!

d

5. hakre
    Posted 7 years ago #

This is a nice Idea! Even if theoretically this will not solve it until the end of days it might help a lot!

But the other way round is true as well: [gallery] in rel is only a suggestion of shadowbox so it should be replaced with your gallery-name like [mygallery] or so.

6. cryonics
    Posted 7 years ago #

Why not shadowbox_gallery instead? It could collide with any CMS.

7. hakre
    Posted 7 years ago #

I dunno wether you can use an _ inside the shadowbox gallery rel option. But as I wrote, this is true for the other way round as well, therefore for shadowbox as well.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic