i can see from multiple posts on the forum that i'm not the first to have a newly-missing from 2.3 database table cause errors after upgrading. i'm only writing here because i've tried various solutions described here and the problem is still ongoing.
my error message is:
WordPress database error: [Table '****_****blog.wp_categories' doesn't exist]
SELECT * FROM wp_categories
i've deactivated all plugins and updated to a supposedly compatible version of the theme (tarski 1.7.1). the error message is still there.
i've tried the extended upgrade, deleting files as specified here, then re-uploading the 2.3 files, but the error is still there.