Support » Plugin: Name Directory » 2019-03-17 A Tip for Directory Authors on Tagging

• Resolved jaykaybee

(@jaykaybee)

Dear Jeroen, this is a tip that I wanted to share. In my tests with your plug-in, I have found that if I create a directory entry, in the “name” field I can also add some “tags”.

For example, using your original site as an example, it contains a long list of names to inspire people:
    https://www.parkietenvilla.nl

Easy to filter alphabetically, using the built in functions.

But the directory author could also add to each name a tag for male or female

For example,
    Abel [#male]
    Africa [[#male #female]
    Aisha [#female]
    Alana [#female]

This is a bit of a silly example, but it illustrates that the directory author can add another dimension of filtering.

In this case, if the directory user wanted to see all male names, they would enter [#male] in the search box.

My directory is not names, but resources that have various tags, so it’s a great way of letting my users filter a big list by some sub-topics.

Just thought I would share this tip in case it may be useful to others.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Author jeroenpeters1986

(@jeroenpeters1986)

Hi @jaykaybee,

thanks for sharing this idea. Your example is clear to me, but at this moment a tagging system would be too much for this plugin.

There is a little hack that you can use though. However it might not be relevant to you if you have a big list of subtopics.

Here is the hack that I am thinking of: If you would like to have a set of predefined tags, you can just use them in the description. You can let the searchbox do the rest. If you would like to link to all entries with the tag “#test”, you can create a link to the page like this:
    https://www.website.com/page-with-name-directory/?name-directory-search-value=%23test

The %23 in the URL is the #, but URL encoded 🙂

Another reason why I don’t include this, is that most of the time people will need another directory for another category of ‘names’. This is something which Name Directory provides. Searching in multiple directories can be done with the WordPress site-search integration.

Thanks again for your active participation and taking the time to write up this idea. I do hope that my answers provided some insight and hopefully the hack works for you.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Peters

Thread Starter jaykaybee

(@jaykaybee)

OK just to be clear, I was sharing my tip for tagging in the name field, not requesting new functionality. I have implemented the “name field tagging” in my test directory. It works great! The advantage of tagging in the name field is that then users can see, at a glance when browsing, which are the topic categories/tags that they can put in the search box.

I will also test your suggestion, the way I understand it is that if I want to show anyone the directory already filtered to a specific tag, I can share a URL with the search term included in the URL as you suggest.

I am also going to test combining a few ideas that we have been discussing. For example, I may implement a #updated tag when something is updated from the original, and a #new tag when new entries are added. Then I could email my WordPress members a URL like you suggest that shows them new or updated entries.

I will test this and get back to you. Lots of potential flexibility here. Thanks again for this great plugin.

Plugin Author jeroenpeters1986

(@jeroenpeters1986)

Hi @jaykaybee,

I’m sorry, I misunderstood then 🙂 Thanks for sharing. Hopefully our answers combined can put new users on a cool track to keep experimenting with the plugin.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Peters

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘2019-03-17 A Tip for Directory Authors on Tagging’ is closed to new replies.