• Resolved ashuga

(@ashuga)

I am working on an intranet site where we will soon be moving a lot of pages to drafts, effectively making them unavailable to most users. I’d like to use Broken Link Checker to check behind us to remove links on other pages to those drafts/unpublished pages. However during testing I am running into the link checker actually reporting pages that are drafts as 200 OK.

Steps:

– Edit a published page, set as a draft, save
    – Move the page to be a child under a different folder (‘archive’)
    – Test the page’s old URL – it 404s (good so far)
    – Look up the old URL in the links list of broken link checker, tell it to check again
    – It shows as 200 OK, despite the steps above and the fact that it actually 404s on the blog

My guess is that drafts won’t show as 404s for some reason. Is there a better way to approach once published pages, but are now drafts?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Plugin Support Adam – WPMU DEV Support

(@wpmudev-support8)

Hi @ashuga

I hope you’re well today!

I followed the steps that you outlined and up to the first 404 detection it was the same on my end. Upon re-check though it plugin didn’t gave me “200 OK” status but was still reporting 404.

I tried multiple time always with the same result.

I suppose then that it’s either something specific to the site or I didn’t test it correctly. I actually have some doubt about one step: “move the page to be a child under a different folder”” – could you explain that more?

I assumed that “child” would mean here setting the page to be a child of another page but then you mentioned “folder” – are you using some non standard way of managing content (e.g. some additional plugin that helps organize posts/pages)?

Can you confirm that these pages after being edited are really 404-ing, so they aren’t really available for any visitors?

Let me know, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thread Starter ashuga

(@ashuga)

Hi Adam – I did mean moving a child page under a page. Apologies, I should have used the correct term.

After the plugin finished another scan after the first one, I’m seeing now that the page I moved/set to draft is reporting as a 404 as expected.

While this thread is open, I wanted to ask: does the plugin treat private pages as 404, even if an admin or editor can technically access the page? It looks that way but I wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Plugin Support Predrag – WPMU DEV Support

(@wpmudev-support1)

Hi @ashuga,

That is correct, since such pages are not publicly accessible BLC will see them as broken links until they are made public.

Cheers,
    Predrag

Plugin Support Pawel – WPMU DEV Support

(@wpmudev-support9)

Hello @ashuga

I hope you are doing well!

We haven’t heard back from you for a while now so we’ve marked this ticket as resolved. If you do have any followup questions or require further assistance feel free to reopen it and let us know here.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘200 OK when page is a draft (404)’ is closed to new replies.