• The cat’s out of the bag that 2.0 stable will be available Wednesday or Thursday, so this thread is meant as a preparation for the release. The single biggest problem when upgrading is if something goes wrong, which invariably does, as all servers are not built the same, the user failed to backup. So we are encouraging all WP users, especially those who will want to install the new version as soon as it is out, to back up all files before the release. This means not just your WP directory, but your database as well. The database contains all of your posts, comments, pages, etc, and if anything goes wrong, and know that major changes to the database occur in 2.0, you could loose all this data. This can not be stressed enough.
    Backing_Up_Your_Database
    Upgrading_WordPress

Also note before upgrading, that major changes to the way users/authors/etc are handled. So if your blog has multiple authors, you may want to completely familiarize yourself with those changes before making the switch.
    This includes ANY plugin that relies on user level. It would be highly advised to deactivate those plugins before the switch.
    Just a final note, though the team of developers do a fantastic job of smashing bugs, working out kinks, etc, things can go wrong. There will be very detailed instructions posted with the announcement, and sometimes, even following them a glitch can occur. There will be volunteers here to assist, so be patient, provide all relevant information, and trust they will do their best to get your blog back up and running.
    I’m sure more will be added, but please, there’s is no exact time of release, so don’t ask.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • i’m really looking forward to 2.0 also, but i didn’t see coffee2code’s plugins listed as working either and i really depend on those.

As always, I will wait for some time before I am assured that WP ver 2.0 does not affect my site structure in any sort of way πŸ™‚

need to update my plugin to make it compatible with 2.0 again =( tedious job!

wow, this gone a be a rock!!

does this address any security concerns in the older version? Will we be putting ourselves in any danger practically if we don’t upgrade relatively soon?

Also, I thought there was going to be a 1.6?

Also, how much longer can we keep releasing themes meant for 1.5? Or will this not necessitate any revamping of themes?

“Normal” themes are supposed to work with 2.0.
    There is no word about the necessity to upgrade for security reasons.
    The changes are too many – that’s the reason for the jump from 1.5.2 to 2.0. I guess πŸ™‚

1.6 = 2.0

(In a maths sense, I cannot prove that but then I gave up at calculus. In a WP sense, it’s just one of those things we have to accept. Like water being wet)

πŸ™‚

FYI:
    ColdForged’s Image Headlines works just fine on my 2.0 site.

I don’t use RunPHP, but I hear it’s not friendly with 2.0 for some reason. A pending-release 3.0 version of my EzStatic plugin will enable exactly the same thing and support WP 2.0 Roles. It also does some other neat things that those two plugins don’t do.

Thanks ringmaster that’s good to know. I had tried EZStatic at one point and couldn’t get it to work correctly for some season.

I’ll play with it more on my home box before going to 2.0

The new 2.0-specific version of EzStatic will be released “real soon now”.

can someone tell me how long it typically takes for Fantastico to integrate the new WordPress version?

what’s fantastico?!

An automated installation utility for different blog software, CMS, etc.. that runs in cPanel.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

Can someone tell me how long it typically takes for Fantastico to integrate the new WordPress version?

Well, Fantastico won’t have WordPress v2 now, because it hasn’t been released yet. Once a new version has been released, the Fantastico team “checks it for quality and compatibility” and finally adds it to their repository. From that point, it all depends on how often your hosting provider synchronizes with those repositories. So, I guess that it would take anywhere from a week to six months.

There have been some reports here of problems following Fantastico installations, and the manual installation is quite easy, especially if you follow a good guide. I always recommend manual installations over the use of Fantastico.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • The topic ‘2.0 Very Soon!!’ is closed to new replies.