WordPress.org

Forums

2 versions of the same theme (3 posts)

1. Mrbigp
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi

I want to create a network that consists of lots of small user sites and then a granddaddy site that aggregates or compiles content automatically from the user sites.

I see there is a plugin called autoblog (by WPMUDEV https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/autoblog/) and there are probably many more.

This is the easy part.

The hard part is the theme used.

Each user site and the granddaddy site will use the same theme, but the granddaddy theme needs to have different things, example:

The user sites use Theme x for example but DO NOT display ads, whereas the granddaddy site also uses Theme x but DOES display ads.

So if everything shares the same theme and therefore tweaks to it, what are some options?

Maybe renaming the theme on your local PC for te granddaddy site maybe calling it Theme Y and installing it. Therefore wouldn't the system think it is a completely different theme to Theme X?

Or perhaps there is a way to peel a site off the main flock and make it somehow it's own animal whilst using the same theme as everyone else?

Pleaae keep in mind in my scenario users can't edit their site, theme, plugins or settings.

Thanks in advance!!

2. kjodle
    Posted 1 year ago #

You need to just use multisite with a single theme.

3. So if everything shares the same theme and therefore tweaks to it, what are some options?

You can hard code the ads into your theme files, and then use PHP if statements to detect what site (or URL) is loaded and conditionally display the ads that way.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.