• Hi guys
    Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I figured some of you who have sites up and running could help me.

My client currently has a site coded with a CMS (not WP) and they have asked me to build a new site, on a different domain, but for the same products with new, fresh content.

I’m having a few issues with how to build it and what happens to the old site’s SEO once the new site is up and running.

I am considering WP with an eCommerce Plug In either Woo or Shopify (released today) but I haven’t decided yet – bc the answer to this might help me decide.

My question is: What happens to the old sites SEO ranks once it is ‘switched off’. Is there a way to keep the ranking in Google?

Do i redirect the old site to the new sites pages? If so, with a PlugIn?
    I’m not concerned so much about the build, but I am concerned about what happens after the current hosting expires and the site I have built goes live.

Thanks in Advance
    m

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • @mizzymac,

Yes, you can 301 direct every single page from the old site to the new site according to what you think is appropriate.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-301-redirects/

Simple 301 Redirects is a popular and reliable option for this. Best to avoid using .htaccess redirects for a large number of URLs for both usablity and compatibility reasons. If you are concerned about expiration than you can keep paying the hosting bill for at least 3-6 months more to ease the transition.

Or just 301 the old domain at the DNS level using the domain’s registrar or a free service like CloudFlare. Then use the plugin mentioned above to further redirect incoming traffic to the correct pages “after” the domain 301 takes place as the DNS level.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘2 sites running at the same time.’ is closed to new replies.