• Resolved themadcatlady

(@themadcatlady)

I have searched just about everywhere and only found either very old (2009 or older) WordPress topics on this, or instructions that are far too technical for me. I know HTML and CSS, but only have very basic PHP knowledge, being more of a web designer than a programmer.

What I would like is my homepage to show blog posts from two categories, with an excerpt and a thumbnail, just like a regular blog, but in *two columns*, one category each, next to each other (one called “Breaking News”, the other “Most Popular”). At the moment I am using the Hueman theme, but would be willing to change to any other theme if this can´t be done with Hueman.

I have also searched without success for suitable templates, but they don´t seem to exist with this kind of layout.

If anyone has any template suggestions or instructions that I could easily follow without much PHP knowledge, that would be great, thanks in advance.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Adrian Houle

(@adrian-houle)

Just to be clear? You wan’t two blog post next to eachother? Or you wan’t one bigger post that is actually 2 post separated by a column?

If so this should be possible with just CSS. The first step would be to create enough room and to limit the size of the post. You would wan’t to use a fullsized page with no sidebar most likely, and then you will wan’t to use CSS to limit the width of post widths to less then 50% of the screen. The post should automaticy go side by side if there is enough room for them to do so, and they are limited from hogging the whole width. If they don’t do this, it may be they are set to display: block, and you wan’t to change them to display: inline-block (when an inline block has a limited widh it flows really nicely)

It would then by a matter of eliminating bordering margins so that the two post nudge up to eathother and give the post backgrounds the same color; you can play with the border elements to get a desired column separation. To really get the joined effect, i would put rounded corners on the outside corners but not on the inside (border raidus)

I think you get the idea from here. Let me know if that is what you ment.

Thread Starter themadcatlady

(@themadcatlady)

Hi Adrian, thanks for your reply, but no, that´s not what I want to do…

First of all, the middle content area is wide enough for 2 columns, so that´s not an issue. I would like the posts from one category showing magazing-style on one side, and the posts from another category showing on the other side. Kinda like this (but there´s another sidebar on the left of that):

http://www.premiumwp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/wp-chatter-theme.jpg

BUT the first column should show the posts from one category, and the second column posts from another category.

I hope this makes sense now, it´s a bit difficult to explain! 😉

Adrian Houle

(@adrian-houle)

Oh so you wan’t the page to automaticly display all of one categories post on one side, and all of another categories post on the other side? (I could not view that link, acess denied)

There are some hacky ways you could do this that I am sure you have thought of.

But I think you should be able to find a plugin for sorting post. If not you will have to write a php script.

(@themadcatlady)

Hi again Adrian, I did mention that I don´t know much PHP so I won´t be able to write a script! 😉

I think I might have found a theme though that I can work with and make it look the way I want with CSS styling, and this already has 2 “boxes” that do what I´m trying to do – the pic you couldn´t access earlier is a screenshot of the WP Chatter theme, and apart from it being not free, it has everything I need. I think! Will have to try it and if no good for what I´m tryin to do, use the 30 days money back… this link might work better… http://wp-chatter.solostreamsites.com/

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Adrian Houle

(@adrian-houle)

Good to hear. I would really look into plugins before you did any hacking with CSS, as it will make your life easier later on when you are organising your posts and now you have to change all the dates to make things go were you want to go. (but if there is no free plugin that does what you want then at least you can cross that off the list)

(@themadcatlady)

Yes, that´s the first thing I did, look for plugins. But after trying a couple, they weren´t really very flexible. Anyways, I´m happy to try out this theme for now and if I don´t get on with it…. I´ll be back! 😉

I don´t have to change any dates or anything! I won´t be changing the themes layout much, especially not the two columns, only making the content area wider and do a few tweaks here and there…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘2 separate categories showing in 2 columns on homepage’ is closed to new replies.