Support » Networking WordPress » 2 General Questions (Including Permalinks)

• WPOso

(@wordpress-oso)

I installed WordPress a couple days ago and downloaded Bitnami Multisite just now. I’ve been reading the documentation but would like to have a few things clarified before I jump in.

I currently have a multi-site CMS I created myself. I also have several subdomains. In addition, I have a series of Google blogs on each site at http://blog.mysite.com. I want to replace all my sites with a WordPress multisite installation. I may replace my Google blogs with WordPress, too. However, I’ve read conflicting information; does each blog require a separate WordPress installation, or can I replace all my sites and subdomains AND all the Google blogs with one WordPress installation?

On my Mac laptop, my sites are stored in a folder @ users/MyName/Sites/G1, users/MyName/Sites/GW, etc. I installed WordPress in the same Sites folder.

I’m using MAMP to create local domain names, like http://G1. But, as I understand it, WordPress doesn’t use any static pages or folders, and the domain names are designated in WordPress, not MAMP.

Another question regarding permalinks: My sites have URL’s like this: MySite/Topics/Ethics, MySite2/People/Carl_Sagan

I thought I read in the documentation that you can NOT create permalinks on the home site (the first site you create). If that’s true, could I work around it by creating a fictitious home site, one that would not go live?

Yikes, I have another question or two, but I think I should start a new post…

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Plugin Review Team Rep

does each blog require a separate WordPress installation, or can I replace all my sites and subdomains AND all the Google blogs with one WordPress installation?

You can replace all your sites with a Multisite network, and move the individual sites to a subsite on your network, sure.

And you can map domains in WP so you can make G2 map to G1/g2 (where G1/g2 is a subsite)

I thought I read in the documentation that you can NOT create permalinks on the home site (the first site you create).

No, you can have permalinks! Yikes, how sucky would that be?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘2 General Questions (Including Permalinks)’ is closed to new replies.