• Resolved Nigel

(@itw3)

Great plugin!

…but we’re finding it annoying that not all email clients render the “Authentication link” in 2-factor login verification emails as a clickable link.

I know this has been raised before and I’ve scanned through the forum here and read in another post that the absence of a clickable link in the 2-factor authentication email is down to the email client not interpreting the link as clickable.

Ok, so in gmail it becomes clickable, but in Thunderbird it doesn’t.

However, I think Thunderbird is handling this correctly as the authentication link is missing the anchor <a> tags around the authentication link. Gmail is making a bold assumption as it’s claiming something without anchor tags is a link.

In a standards based environment, which I’m sure all plugin authors subscribe to, the authentication link should be nested in <a>...</a> in order for the email client to interpreted it correctly. I checked the HTML source of the email and there’s no anchor tags.

What’s interesting and proves my point is that there is a clickable link in these emails, even in Thunderbird, and its the link following the line “This email was sent from the Shield plugin, provided by…”. That link to icwp.io/… has anchor tags so becomes clickable in all standards-based email clients including Thunderbird, so why doesn’t the authentication link have anchor tags?

Looking in the plugin’s php source further confirms the absence of the anchor tags:

src/processors/email.php line 70:
    sprintf( '<a href="%s"><strong>%s</strong></a>', 'http://icwp.io/shieldicontrolwpemailfooter', 'iControlWP - WordPress Management and Backup Protection For Professionals' )

src/processors/loginprotect_twofactorauth.php line 307:
    sprintf( _wpsf__( 'Authentication Link: %s' ), $sAuthLink )

Any chance of adding the anchor tags to the latter? …please!!

Best regards,
    Nigel.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Nigel. Reason: add code quotes to html
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Plugin Author Paul

(@paultgoodchild)

Hey Nigel!

Thanks so much for your detailed request. If only all requests to the support forums were so thorough!

I promise, for the next release, you’ll get the anchor tags as requested. I’m a sucker for well thought out stuff that removes the need for me to reason and rationalise. 😀

Thanks for the suggestion and honestly, not sure why I haven’t wrapped it up in anchor tags before now.

I’ll probably push it out to github before putting it to the WordPress repo. If you’re interested in a zip download of that before the next release, let me know.

Cheers
    Paul.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Paul.
    Thread Starter Nigel

(@itw3)

Gr8 stuff!! …thanks Paul, and happy to wait for the WordPress repo.

Keep up the good work!
    Best regards,
    Nigel.

Plugin Author Paul

(@paultgoodchild)

the newly released 5.5.4 has this clickable link.

Cheers

Thread Starter Nigel

(@itw3)

Awesome, thanks Paul!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘2-factor email link not clickable’ is closed to new replies.