WordPress.org

Forums

2 Different URL's of same site (4 posts)

1. subhashsrs
    Posted 9 months ago #

Many days ago, I have seen a word press site, which was using 2 different URL's (dev.xyz.com and xyz.com), when I make changes in dev.xyz.com, they will appear automatically in xyz.com.

I have tried to find out the method, but not succeded. Have any idea , how to do this.

Thanks

2. Pothi
    Posted 9 months ago #

The WordPress constants WP_SITEURL and WP_HOME may have been set dynamically. Ref: http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#WordPress_address_.28URL.29 . Why would you want to do that, anyway?

3. Evan Herman
    Posted 9 months ago #

This is called a staging and production server. Anything you do on dev.xyz.com does not appear on xyz.com until you "push" ( or make ) your changes live to xyz.com

You use dev.xyz.com to test plugins and themes before doing anything on a live production site to test for errors or conflicts.

Your host may be able to set it up for you, but I'm fairly certain there are a few plugins out there that can set it up.

WP-Stagecoach comes to mind.

4. subhashsrs
    Posted 8 months ago #

hi Pothi and Evan,

Thanks for your replies,

@Evan - Thanks for telling about staging platform, it is good idea, but still this is different.

@Pothi - Thanks for telling about WordPress dynamic URL function, this is some difficult for me.

Actually, I need to know about the function to move site from dev.xyz.com to xyz.com with a single click & minimum time (I found transferring files and database are little complicated, so trying to find alternative method )

Again thanks very much to both of you.

Regards
    Subhash

You must log in to post.

About this Topic