• Ola

I want to install two WP blogs on the same webserver, say myhost.com/blog1 and myhost.com/blog2

Should I create a db for each blog (db1 with wp_* tables in it and db2 with wp_*) or should I put all tables in one db ? (mydb with wp1_* and wp2_* tables)

Is there any benefit or drawback in either case ? Specifically, I want some information on blog1 being pulled on blog2, and viceversa. Any db and request speed impact in either case ?

Thanks for any advice

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • With a shared host you’re not going to notice a difference either way. Row locking is going to happen on the table level, so your transactions on one table are not often going to effect transactions on another. In a higher traffic situation where you had more direct control of the RDBMS setup you could create that database separation and place the actual database data files on separate disks to lower IO load between them however, in which case you would notice a difference in performance. The level of performance change is really going to depend on how many transactions your RDBMS is doing and what type of storage you have though.

Thread Starter Ozh

(@ozh)

Shared hosting, relatively low (about 5k pageviews a day) activity. Thanks for your thoughts.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘2 blogs on same server : 1 or 2 db ?’ is closed to new replies.