WordPress.org

Support

Support » Miscellaneous » 2 Blogs on 1 MSQL Database?

2 Blogs on 1 MSQL Database?

• Hello All ,
    I have tried a search and not had too much luck as I am already confused.
    What I would like to do is have 2 WordPress blogs on my webspace. One will be the one everyone sees and uses and the other will be for testing templates and other things.
    If I have both blogs reading the same MYSQL database will this mess things up? Or should I just have two databases…?
    Many Thanks!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • That’s no problem at all.
    All you need to alter is the ‘table_prefix’ in wp-config.php when you install the second blog.
    The first blog will have a prefix of ‘wp_’ so just make the second have a prefix of ‘wp2_’ and all will be good 🙂

So by making the prefix of the second blog ‘wp2_’ the second blog will be able to read all of the entries and comments from the first?
    Also if this is the way to do what I am trying to do… where do I change the prefix?
    Many Thanks

The two blogs will be entirely seperate – did you need them to share data ?
    Open wp-config.php – the option to alter the table_prefix is in there.

Sharing data would be handy as this way I’d be able to see what the blog will ‘look’ like etc. I won’t be adding any posts or comments in the 2nd test blog just change the design , templates and plugins etc.

Bryan Villarin
    Happiness Engineer at Automattic

@btvillarin

If you’re testing templates, may I suggest just renaming the different index.php and wp-layout.css files you’re testing?
    Example: Your current known-good layout uses index.php/wp-layout.css
    You’re tweaking another layout with index2.php/wp-layout2.css
    In index2.php, you’d make sure you’re calling for wp-layout2.css (rather than the default wp-layout.css).

That way, you get the best of both worlds and you don’t need to undertake two WP installs – even though it is small. 🙂

Great Idea!
    Thank you very very much. I’ll do that.
    Many Thanks again, you’re all great help!

Bryan Villarin
    Happiness Engineer at Automattic

@btvillarin

Nice, glad we were able to help. You will link to your blog in your member profile, so we can see how you’re doing…riiiight? 😉

Hi Podz, I guess I could use the same trick to migrate from one domain name to another, both under same hosting/server?

Let’s say, I have blog1 going fine, then install a new blog2, change wp-config.php such that blog2 with new domain name connects to the same database of blog1. Later delete installation blog1 under old domain name.

Alright doing that?

Mark (podz)
    Support Maven

@podz

sfong15 – you cannot have two active blogs sharing the same database. Because they cannot share precisely the same name / url, things will certainly break.

But….. if there is no sharing like that, it should be okay.. (I’ve not yet had a coffee though so do post again if what I’ve said doesn’t help.)

http://rephrase.net/box/word/multiply/

two+ active blogs and the same database

I am currently using 95 with this setup and no breakage.

Yes, Podz, it broke my test blog because wp-blog-header couldn’t resolve 2 different url.

Any better way to do migration from one domain name to another under same hosting?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘2 Blogs on 1 MSQL Database?’ is closed to new replies.