Support » Plugin: Ultimate FAQ - WordPress FAQ Plugin » 2.07 created a fatal error on multiple sites

• Resolved lalunecreative

(@lalunecreative)

The latest update causes a fatal error when updating to 2.0.7 we use this plugin on multiple client sites and all had the same issue when updating. WordPress went into recovery mode and deleted the plugin.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Plugin Support jaysupport

(@jaysupport)

Could you please let me know what the exact fatal error is/was? That should let us know what file or function contributed to it and make it possible to troubleshoot.

Thank you!

Thread Starter lalunecreative

(@lalunecreative)

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in /flywheel-plugins/flywheel-activity-monitor/flywheel-activity-monitor.php:19 Stack trace: #0 /flywheel-plugins/flywheel-activity-monitor/flywheel-activity-monitor.php(129): fw_event_logger(Array) #1 /wordpress/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): fw_plugins_logger(‘ultimate-faqs/M…’, false) #2 /wordpress/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(311): WP_Hook->apply_filters(”, Array) #3 /wordpress/wp-includes/plugin.php(484): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #4 /wordpress/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php(837): do_action(‘deactivated_plu…’, ‘ultimate-faqs/M…’, false) #5 /www/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-faqs/Main.php(7): deactivate_plugins(‘ultimate-faqs/M…’) #6 /wordpress/wp-settings.php(391): include_once(‘/www/wp-content…’) #7 /www/wp-config.php(113): require_once(‘/wordpress/wp-s…’) #8 /wordpress/wp-config.php(5): require(‘/www/wp-config….’) #9 /wordpress/wp-load.php(37): require_once(‘/wordpress/wp-c…’) #10 /wordpress/wp-blog-header.php(13): requ in /flywheel-plugins/flywheel-activity-monitor/flywheel-activity-monitor.php on line 19

Plugin Support jaysupport

(@jaysupport)

Thanks for that. Were you upgrading from a 1.x.x version of the plugin or from a 2.x.x version?

It looks like there is some info missing from that error that might be helpful (where it uses the ellipses). Nevertheless it does seem to be triggered by whatever that flywheel plugin is doing. Is that something that runs when you update or install plugins? What is it checking for or trying to do?

Line 7 of Main.php is where it deactivates the old main plugin file in order to automatically reactivate the new new ultimate-faqs.php file after the new files have been uploaded by the WordPress update process.

Thread Starter lalunecreative

(@lalunecreative)

That’s just Flywheel (the host) I’m not sure what runs when that happens. We use WP-manage to update client sites normally, but this time ran it from within WordPress. I always keep everything up to date.

As far as I know, they were all on 2.0.6 then tried to update to 2.0.7 and threw the fatal error.

I just updated to 2.0.8 with zero issues.

I’m not sure where to get the full error log. That’s just what the site threw and I copied and pasted as it was.

(@jaysupport)

I’m glad to hear it updated to 2.0.8 without issue. It may have been just a one-off glitch when trying to upload/replace the plugin files last time or perhaps when trying to re-activate the plugin post-upload.

Please let me know, though, if you experience anything similar going forward.

WordPress has their own built-in debug log actually. If you run into any issue on your site (related to our plugin or not), it could be a good idea to enable the debug log to get the full error output. Instructions for how to do this can be found here: https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/#wp_debug_log

Just happened to one of my sites using the plugin but not the other. Had to login via Recovery Mode. Interestingly, no update available message. Had to click the Details link on the plugin and update from there. .08 version fixed it here too.

Just discovered this on all my website using this plugin. Please fix!

Remember to test your releases properly before publishing – these kind of errors are really bad news.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by designextreme. Reason: Additional paragraph

Error details:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function activate_plugin() in /wp-content/plugins/ultimate-faqs/Main.php:5
    Stack trace:
    #0 /wp-settings.php(391): include_once()
    #1 /wp-config.php(99): require_once('...')
    #2 /wp-load.php(37): require_once('...')
    #3 /wp-mail.php(11): require('...')
    #4 {main}
      thrown in /wp-content/plugins/ultimate-faqs/Main.php on line 5

Updated to 2.0.8 and the error is fixed.

(@jaysupport)

We’ve just pushed an update (2.0.9) that fixes a fatal error issue with updating to 2.0.8. Just mentioning it here, as perhaps your issue/error was related. This one was related to the Main.php file, which had been in there to help with the issue of the plugin not re-activating if updating from 1.x.x to 2.0.x, but it was only happening with the WP admin (Plugins screen) update process, and not when manually updating, which is why it didn’t occur in testing. Sorry again for the trouble.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.