• The new version 2.0 requires you to install another completely separate wpmu dashboard plugin, give them your full wordpress login, pulling any data they want from your site. It’s like installing Jetpack with analytics and all sorts of extra plugins. I don’t know what all this bloat does and I don’t want to take the time to figure it out, so I just reverted back to the old version of the plugin. I’m considering uninstalling this completely now. I don’t mind having a wpmu account, but I don’t want a whole extra dashboard plugin to be required.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Support Kris – WPMU DEV Support

(@wpmudevsupport13)

Hi @rsmith4321

I hope you are doing well today.

During the connection of your site to WPMU DEV there is a note:

We don’t store your login information, so it’s 100% safe and secure.

You don’t need to have the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin and connection to HUB to still use the old engine/old version of the plugin. After the recent update, you can use/switch to the old version which is still a part of the core of Broken Link Checker.

Of course, having a WPMU account and using BLC 2.0 with future updates will give more benefits which you can see in your dashboard under this link:
    /wp-admin/admin.php?page=blc_dash

More about benefits here:
    https://wpmudev.com/docs/wpmu-dev-plugins/broken-link-checker/

Kind Regards,
    Kris

Thread Starter rsmith4321

(@rsmith4321)

The extra dashboard plugin is required to use any of the new features. I just don’t want analytics and a host of other bloat added just to use the link checker. It doesn’t really matter if you store the login, you have a direct connection into the site with the hub plugin. But I understand it’s free so it needs to be paid for somehow.

Plugin Support Saurabh – WPMU DEV Support

(@wpmudev-support7)

Hi @rsmith4321

We really appreciate your feedback!

The connection to HUB main objective is to allow our API to run the check process and reduce load on your site. Also, by having an API crawling a site, the plugin may get a more accurate report of any broken link. Since the plugin looks for broken links as a user visiting the site, it improves these checks getting rendered pages instead of looking at the code in the site. There were some requests for the plugin to be capable to look for links in menus, widgets, shortcodes, etc. and performing the scan as done with BLC 2.0 fixes this issue.

We’d really like you to give BLC 2.0 a chance in the future as new features get added and our users can get more benefits from the tool.

Kind regards

Luis

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘2.0 has so much bloat now, extra wpmu dashboard required’ is closed to new replies.