• I must be doing something wrong with trackbacks. I can’t seem to send or recieve them via Podz test site. What am I doing wrong? I’ve been to the codex, and I’ve been through all the threads here and still am missing something (or the feture just doesn;t work for me). Will someone please explain how to send these things so I can rest knowing it is not my own stupid error(s).

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

Ok, I’ve tried every troubleshooting step that I know of, so I’ve decided to submit the bug. Details and bug report here: http://mosquito.wordpress.org/view.php?id=1324

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

mac, is that usual? For your server logs to be completely empty for a day?

Yes and no. I have 3 errors generated by a call for entity2nrc when I accidentally left it active during the first upgrade (the error was generated because entity2ncr’s functionality was already included with 1.5.1), but that’s it.

Thread Starter userx

(@userx)

Wow! I just looked at my error logs and this one (searchform.php?)comes up all the time:

[09-May-2005 22:26:33] PHP Warning: main(): Failed opening ‘//wp-content/themes/evolution/searchform.php’ for inclusion (include_path=’.:/include:/usr/lib/php’) in /wp-content/themes/evolution/archives.php on line 11
    [09-May-2005 23:22:20] PHP Warning: main(searchform.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /wp-content/themes/evolution/about.php on line 13
    [09-May-2005 23:22:20] PHP Warning: main(): Failed opening ‘searchform.php’ for inclusion (include_path=’.:/include:/usr/lib/php’) in /wp-content/themes/evolution/about.php on line 13
    [09-May-2005 23:26:27] PHP Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /xmlrpc.php on line 1189

That may as well be a foreign language … I haven’t the slightest idea about server issues. Does anyone here have the capablitiy of interpreting this for me? What is this, and does it have anything to do with my track & pingback failures?

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

UserX, those would have nothing to do with the trackback/pingback issues, but you may want to open a separate thread about that to get better exposure here.

Thread Starter userx

(@userx)

mac – thanks, I might, after I get the track/ping issue resolved. Whatever these server log errors are, they aren’t causing any troubles at home, that is noticable. I need to get the track/pings working. So, after I figure those out, I’ll be sure to figure out what in the world the server log errors are all about, if they aren;t causing my track/ping issues.

In 1.5.1 I was unable to receive trackbacks, but I could send them. I didn’t test pingbacks.

In 1.5.0 I had a similar problem when using a custom permalink structure, but the workaround was to have the trackback URL reflect a non-customized URL structure, i.e., “www.mysite.com/wp-trackback.php?p=” with the post id number tacked on at the end. The system would receive trackbacks if there was no customized-permalink URLs. Unfortunately, in 1.5.1, this workaround failed.

I rolled my blog back to 1.5.0 for now. I’m thinking of setting up a test blog that’s separate from my regular blog for further testing of the new version. I’ve never submitted an official bug report, and am always somewhat reticent about doing something new.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

Update: I’m having the same problems with a brand-new fresh WP v1.5.1 installation.

I set up a new testblog with 1.5.0, and updated it to 1.5.1.
    http://testblog.gaiastream.com/
    Using a customized URL permalink, it sends trackbacks fine. (this blog will likely be deleted in a few days)

It doesn’t receive them.
    http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/TestTrack/?p=343
    You can login at Podz TestTrack to verify trackback pings were sent.

This installation, testblog.gaiastream.com, does indeed send pingbacks, but ‘does not’ receive them.

I’m probably doing something really stupid! I hope not!

Okay, I think I narrowed my problem slightly. I updated my main blog again to 1.5.1. Afterward, it receives and sends both trackbacks and pingbacks IF I don’t use customized permalink URLs (Options > Permalinks > Structure = leave blank)

Does this success mean that the .htaccess rules written during a custom permalink don’t work properly on the server? Or is the problem instead related to something internal in the code and/or parsing of WP related to custom URLs?

u know u can just try ping ur own post.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

I made it work! Huuzzzah! I guess I just had to hit it like an old toaster. Here’s what I did (make sure you have time to try it, because it worked for me, and I’m not trying it any other way).

1. Send a pingback from one post in v1.5.1 blog to another post in the same blog. Confirm that pingbacks do not work.

2. Set up a brand new v1.5.0 blog (hope you have a back up).

3. Send a pingback from one post in v1.5.0 blog to another post in the same blog. Confirm that pingbacks do work.

4. Send a pingback from one post in the v1.5.0 blog to another in the v1.5.1 blog. Confirm that pingbacks do work (they should by now).

5. Send a pingback from one post in the v1.5.1 blog to another in the v1.5.0 blog. Confirm that pingbacks do work.

6. Send a pingback from one post in v1.5.1 blog to another post in the same blog. Confirm that pingbacks do work.

That’s the best I can do to describe it … and it still doesn’t make sense. But at least the pingbacks are working.

BTW, I am using this permalink structure:
    /archives/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/

Thanks for the reminder Zeo! On TestBlog (with customized URLs), it doesn’t pingback to either another post on the same blog, or to the same posting. I never tried to pingback the same post before, is that supposed to work?

On the blog without customized URLs a pingback to another posting on the same blog does indeed work, but it won’t pingback to the same post. I can’t really imagine any need to pingback the same post.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

klklaser, would you be willing to try my crazy fix procedure? It’s working like a charm.

I’ll get back to ya macmanx! Maybe tomorrow. It’s been a long day, and I’m getting too old for the all nighters!

The permalink structure I’ve used so far is /%postname%/%category%/ .

Thread Starter userx

(@userx)

mac- What is this “crazy fix procedure?”

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • The topic ‘1.5.1 Track & Pingbacks’ is closed to new replies.