WordPress.org

Forums

[1.5 REQ] Theme Editor Create .php File Function (4 posts)

1. philpeeps
    Posted 10 years ago #

Is it possible to create a clickable link in the Admin Panel for the Theme Editor to create a .php file when a new template file is required, so theme administration and modification can be handled with the admin panel alone without having to create a file and upload via ftp?

2. OtherMichael
    Posted 10 years ago #

hear, hear!

Got a request from one of my clients for this feature just today (5 minutes ago, actually). I want to minimize my involvement.

3. skeltoac
    Posted 10 years ago #

You may be able to use WP's upload feature to accomplish that. It depends on your server's permissions. I did it all the time when I had a plain hosting account.

Now, with a virtual server, my permissions have been set up with greater security: a file uploaded via WordPress does not run with all of the permissions of a file uploaded via FTP. The result is that I can have two files containing identical code, in the same directory, and one won't be allowed to do things like opendir() while the other works fine.

4. Lisch
    Posted 10 years ago #

Good idea, and a good suggestion for my first stab at writing a plugin. I'm not finished yet, but I thought I would throw it out tonight. The idea is that it adds a Themes page. On that page, you can create an new file, upload a file, or delete a file.

Upload is not yet implemented because I have not figured out how to do it yet.

Also, the page is out of date after creating or deleting a file.

These problems are easy to fix, but it's waaay past my bedtime. I'll work on version 0.02 soon.

The plugin is at wp-plugins.net, under Themes, Styles, and Decoration. You can also go straight to my web site: http://tempest-sw.com/wp.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.