• 100% false negative spam not filtered by CF7 and Aksimet

I have implemented a contact form 7 on my web log as a technical proof of concept before using it on another page for a customer. Although the text above the form states that it’s just a test and will raise spam suspicion, all incoming messages (except for 2 tests that I filled myself) are one of unsolicited business proposals, unintelligible text in cyrillic letters or empty messages. But all of them got forwarded to my mailbox, and when I open the list view in Flamingo saved messages, none of them has been flagged as spam.

Then I mark the messages and click bulk action mark as spam, hoping that this status gets sent to Akismet. However, next day, same situation, no improvement, no spam learning at all for several weeks now.

I use Akismet with an API key, and I have set the following contact form 7 plugin settings: – Akismet is active on your site (“Akismet ist auf dieser Website aktiv.”) Akismet stats show: 0 missed spam, 0 false positives (but it has no explicit stats about the 100% false negatives though).

Akismet settings:
    Spam filtering: Spam immer in den Spam-Ordner zur Überprüfung ablegen.

This is my test form attracting the unrecognized false negative spam:

https://www.open-mind-culture.org/2680/kontaktformular-test/

The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plugin Author Takayuki Miyoshi

(@takayukister)

See Editing form template

What content do you have in the Form tab panel?

Thread Starter Ingo Steinke (openmindculture)

(@openmindculture)

<label> name
        [text* your-name akismet:author autocomplete:name] </label>

<label> email address
        [email* your-email akismet:author_email autocomplete:email] </label>

<label> subject
        [text* your-subject] </label>

<label> message (optional)
        [textarea your-message] </label>

[submit "ende"]

This form uses Akismet, to reduce spam. <a target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener" href="https://akismet.com/privacy/">Learn how data is processed.</a>

English above, German below (apparently without additional explicit Akismet tags):

<label> Dein Name
        [text* your-name autocomplete:name] </label>

<label> Deine E-Mail-Adresse
        [email* your-email autocomplete:email] </label>

<label> Betreff
        [text* your-subject] </label>

<label> Deine Nachricht (optional)
        [textarea your-message] </label>

[acceptance acceptance-145]I consent that this submission data is to be stored in the database. [/acceptance]

[submit "Senden"]
    Plugin Author Takayuki Miyoshi

(@takayukister)

(@openmindculture)

I understand I must verify (and add manually if necessary) the explicit akismet attributes to every form field where it makes sense.

I will update my English test form and see how it goes. I will also ensure Akismet attributes in my customer projects immediately, as it can only make things better.

(@openmindculture)

Further inquiry: how to mark up first name and last name properly when there is only one “akismet:author” attribute? In this GitHub issue (integration with Akismet #5), the author used it for the last name only.

[text* first-name 20/40 akismet:author placeholder "First Name"][text* last-name 20/40 akismet:author placeholder "Last Name"][email* email-address 20/40 akismet:author_email placeholder "Email"][submit "Join"]

Is this still correct?

Plugin Author Takayuki Miyoshi

(@takayukister)

Set akismet:author on the both fields for the first name and last name. Contact Form 7 will concatenate them to create a full name.

(@openmindculture)

Thanks for the helfpul advice so far!

Final feedback: now that everything seems to be set up correctly, Akismet still did not recognize any of the new spam arrival, but hopefully it will learn and improve in the future.

(@openmindculture)

Thanks for the support! Issue remains closed.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘100% false negative spam not filtered by CF7 and Aksimet’ is closed to new replies.