Support » Plugin: Very Simple Meta Description » 1 description duplicated sitewide = bad seo

• Dan

(@birmingham)

it’s really foolish to stick a single meta description in the sitewide header template. that’s duplicate content so google knows immediately it’s poor quality. it will do more harm than good to your rankings.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plugin Author Guido

(@guido07111975)

Thanks for your review.. I must say I agree, but users who really care about rankings will use a proper SEO plugin such as Yoast. If you only want a nice site-description in Google, my plugin offers that.

Guido

Dan

(@birmingham)

i don’t use anything like yoast because it comes with loads of unwanted features, such as sitemaps and redirects etc which are not actually good for seo on a site that’s already clean & tidy. all i wanted was a meta description on my homepage, but no way would i duplicate it on every page – if people really care about having a meta description on every page to change their appearance in google, they will also probably care about their rankings in google so should avoid this.

if you can add a setting, maybe a checkbox, so we can select sitewide or homepage-only… then it would be a perfect plugin for my needs, but as it is, it would only do my site a lot of damage.

Plugin Author Guido

(@guido07111975)

Hi Dan,

You do have a point, I think I will add this checkbox or something simular in next version.

Guido

Plugin Author Guido

(@guido07111975)

Hi again,

Have updated plugin and added the switch. I hope you will re-review my plugin again 😉

Guido

Hi, I decided to give your plugin a try because of your exemplary response here – this is how (bad) reviews should be handled.

Plugin Author Guido

(@guido07111975)

Hi @pbalazs,

Thanks!
    I now do agree with the initial review. But to be honest, I also really appreciate a follow-up review after I’ve updated the plugin and added the requested feature (and even more)..

Guido

Dan

(@birmingham)

Hi Guido, during the time we were debating the issue, I found a different plugin to meet my needs. It simply offers a meta box on each page where I can type in a meta description for that page. That is a more powerful feature than having a homepage-only meta box in the settings part of the dashboard, but it doesn’t create excessive extra things like Yoast’s SEO plugin does for example. Therefore I feel no need to try your plugin any longer. But for anyone else who tries yours first and has my experience in SEO I’m sure they will give a decent review if they feel inclined to offer any feedback. I guess people rarely have an incentive to provide feedback unless they have constructive criticism to offer though. Not sure what can be done to encourage them 🙂

Plugin Author Guido

(@guido07111975)

Hi,

I understand what you mean.

For other users who read this review:
    Have updated plugin again. You can now set a custom post or page excerpt that will be used as meta description for that post or page.

Guido

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘1 description duplicated sitewide = bad seo’ is closed to new replies.