Use the page break block to separate your content into a multiple-page experience and add pagination, or page breaks, to a page or post. This can be useful if you are writing a step-by-step tutorial or if you’d like to split your page into multiple chapters, for instance.
In order to add a page break block, click on the Block Inserter icon.
You can also type /page-break and hit enter in a new paragraph block to add one quickly.
Detailed instructions on adding blocks can be found here.
You can add as many page breaks as you want to your post or page. Each page break block adds a new number to the multi-page link that appears at the bottom, splitting the content into more pages.
Each block has its own block-specific controls that allow you to manipulate the block right in the editor. The page break block has the following options in the Block toolbar.
You can transform a Page Break block into a Columns, or a Group block.
Use the block-moving tools to move the block up and down inside the editor. Use the six dots icon to drag and drop the Page Break Block and reposition it anywhere on the editor. Alternatively, click on the up and down arrows to move the block up or down the editor.
Detailed instructions on moving a block within the editor can be found here.
Click on the three dots icon to show more block options. A drop-down menu will appear with these actions:
- Show/Hide more settings opens or close the block settings panel on the editor’s sidebar. Its functionality is similar to clicking the cog icon next to the Publish button.
- Copy adds the comment author block into the clipboard. Then, you can paste it anywhere you want in the block editor.
- Duplicate creates a copy of the selected block that appears after the current block.
- Insert before adds a new block before the selected block(s).
- Insert after adds a new block after the selected block(s).
- Move to lets you use a blue line on the editor to indicate the new position for the selected block. Use your keyboard’s up and down arrows to move the blue line. When the line is in the desired position, press Enter to move the selected block to that position.
- Lock lets you prevent users from moving or deleting the selected block. A pop-up window will appear to set the block locking attribute to the selected block. You can opt to disable movement, prevent removal, or both for the selected block.
- Add to Reusable blocks makes the selected block a reusable block. A pop-up window will appear to set the name for the block.
- Group turns the selected block(s) into a group of blocks so you can configure them as a unit.
- Remove Page Break deletes the selected block from the content.
Every block has specific options in the editor sidebar in addition to the options found in the block toolbar. If you do not see the sidebar, simply click the ‘cog’ icon next to the Publish button.
The page break block doesn’t have any additional options on the sidebar. Once you add it to your page or post you are all set!
- Updated 2022-08-03
- Screenshots, video and content updated for 6.0
- Added ALT tags for the images
- Created 2019-03-07