- Upload the entire
wpdr-simple-downloads folder to the
/wp-content/plugins/ directory -- or just upload the ZIP package via 'Plugins > Add New > Upload' in your WP Admin
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
- Go to "Documents"/ "Downloads" > Download Settings to set a few options - or just be happy with the default settings :)
- Go and manage your downloas files :)
Please note, this plugin requires WordPress 3.5 or higher in order to work!
Go the add-on plugin's settings page (located under "Documents"/ "Downloads" > Download Settings):
- Set downloads slug -- via WPDR
- Set upload directory for download files/ documents -- via WPDR
- Use "Downloads" wording instead of "Documents"
- Use additional taxonomies and widgets
- Set the preffered translations variant to load
- To insert a download file link into a Post, Page or Custom Post Type, use the regular "Insert Link" feature, search for your Download/ Document file (searches for title!) and insert the actual link. Really simple, yeah!
- To display Download files on the frontend you can also use the included widgets or the shortcodes of WPDR (see the WPDR Wiki for the shortcode documentation - scroll down a bit there...).
- To update an existing file/ document just open the existing item and upload a new version (revision). The file/ document peramlink will always point to the latest revision! Yeah, it's so easy :)
- You can also use third-party plugins or widgets that support custom post types to query, display or do anything you want with the "Document" post type, that we use for the download files. Pretty simple again, yet very effective and standards compliant.
- List of reccommended third-party plugins:
Multisite install: Of course, it's fully compatible but have a look in the FAQ section here for more info :)
Own translation/wording: For custom and update-secure language files please upload them to
/wp-content/languages/wpdr-simple-downloads/ (just create this folder) - This enables you to use fully custom translations that won't be overridden on plugin updates. Also, complete custom English wording is possible with that, just use a language file like
wpdr-simple-downloads-en_US.mo/.po to achieve that (for creating one see the tools on "Other Notes").
If you ever want to uninstall the add-on (i.e. "WP Document Revisions Simple Downloads") you can use your stuff like before. All will work like normal as this plugin does NOT make any permanent modifications! Good to know, right?! :)