This plugin provides a WordPress shortcode which generate an FDA-style nutrition label.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrition_facts_label for more information on nutrition labels.
Reference daily intake values come from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_Daily_Intake
You can visit the official page for wp-nutrition-label at http://romkey.com/code/wp-nutrition-label
Upload /wp-nutrition-label to the /wp-content/plugins directory
Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress
In any posts or pages where you wish to insert a nutrition label, use the shortcode [nutr-label]. The shortcode accepts the following attributes:
servingsize, servings, calories, totalfat, satfat, transfat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, fiber, sugars, protein, id, class, width
- What units do the attributes use?
- Grams: totalfat, satfat, transfat, carbohydrates, fiber, sugars, protein
- Milligrams (mg): cholesterol and sodium
- Unitless: servings and calories (units are implicit for calories)
- You should include the unit in the serving size attribute (ie: “4 oz”)
- What about **Calories from Fat**?
The Calories from Fat number is computed from the totalfat attribute.
- What about vitamins?
Working on it.
- How do I style the nutrition label?
You can control the width with the “width” attribute. The width attribute uses ems as its unit. It is styled to scale but it’s likely that the “Nutrition Label” text won’t scale well as the default font is Helvetica, which isn’t fixed-width.
You can specify the DOM ID of the enclosing div by setting the id attribute in the shortcode. You can also specify a CSS class by setting the class attribute. Then you can provide your own styling to change the label as you see fit.
- How about calculating the nutrition values based on a recipe?
This is really hard to do. To do it at all reliably requires human intervention to match ingredients names against their entries in a nutrition database. That’s a level of difficulty I don’t wan to try to tackle with this plugin. You may find the USDA’s free online nutrition database useful for looking up nutrition information:
- How do I contribute translations to other languages?
You’re welcome to email the .po and .mo files to me at wordpress [at] romkey [dot] com
- Where can I find the development version of the plugin?
Development work on this plugin is hosted on github at https://github.com/romkey/wp-nutrition-label
Contributors & Developers
“wp-nutrition-label” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Changed filename from README to readme.txt
- Initial release