This plugin hasn’t been tested with the latest 3 major releases of WordPress. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.

WP Export Categories & Taxonomies


Simple and basic plugin that let you export Categories, Tags and Taxonomies into a WordPress xml so you can import them in other sites using the WordPress importer tool


  1. Go to Plugins > Add New
  2. Click the Upload link
  3. Click Browse and locate the file
  4. Click Install Now
  5. After WordPress installs, click on the Activate Plugin link

You’re done!


Where do I find this great tool in my wp-admin?

Just go to Tools-> WP Export Cats & Taxs



Works great for export, but don’t know how to import the files…

Worked like a charm!

Simple … but does exactly what it claims. Not sure why the WordPress exporter doesn’t provide this simple functionality but it doesn’t. We used it to export both English and Spanish taxonomies. We had to select the language after they were imported but that was a minor task. It even spotted corrupt data and would hang up and not save that export group so we knew to create those taxonomies manually. Once you have the narrowed down data exported you can merely use the WP Importer without the need for an Import plug-in. (All-import charges you U.S. $99 for selective taxonomy import. Plus our database is so big we can’t use the WP exporter.) This solved the problem without having to go that route. Loved it.


When you’re up working at 4am and you need to migrate a ton of terms from a custom taxonomy, this plugin is a freaking lifesaver!
Long live Damian!

Works a treat

I was a little suspicious because it hadn’t been updated for ages, but it does exactly what it says on the tin. Very handy little tool. Thank you

Read all 16 reviews

Contributors & Developers

“WP Export Categories & Taxonomies” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.




  • Cleaned a bit more of code
  • Fixed small bug with checkbox ID’s


  • Changed the export action to a later hook to include plugins tax that were registered later
  • Cleaned a bit the code


  • Fixed fatal error including settings. Sorry 🙂


  • Plugin released, woohoo!