WooCommerce allows you have to have plain old ugly URLs, pretty URLs with just the product name, prettier URLs with the product name and it’s category but… what about when you want a sexy URL with the:
- Product Name
- Child Category
- Parent Category
- Shop Name
Now that’s a sexy URL.
Install the plugin, set it up under Settings > Permalinks and start improving your SEO or whatever.
The plugin also supports multiple child categories in the URL, so you could even have a URL like this:
This plugin requires PHP version 5.4 or higher.
If you’re still at PHP 5.2, it’s time to update. Read here why and how.
I’ll make this as simple as possible.
- Either download the plugin and upload it or search for it under Plugins > Add New. Activate it, too.
- Go to your Settings > Permalinks and head to the bottom.
- Make the WooCommerce Product Permalink Base something like
/items/%product_cat%– it doesn’t have to be items. It could be
- Make the Shop Permalinks Base the same as the ‘base’ just set above. If you went with the
/items/%product_cat%one, this option would need to be
- Save & be awesome!
- I followed your instructions but keep getting those damn 404s!
Well that’s no good – maybe you don’t have standard WordPress pretty permalinks enabled? Go to the top of the Settings > Permalinks page and make sure the Common Settings is something like Post Name.
- It’s all going to hell and I need help!
Please calm down and start a support thread. This is a pretty experimental, ‘breaking-the-boundaries-of-what-we-thought-was-possible’ kind of plugin, so things can get of control.
- What about foo bar?
I don’t have the answer.
perfect plugin for woocommerce pretty permalink solutions
very cool idea and the plugin worked in the first place. Now I have the situation that parent categories and child categories open perfectly, but as soon as I want to open a product a 404-error-page opens, while the URL-/permalink-structure is as should.
My settings are:
-category-base products: sup-shop
-Shop Permalinks Base: sup-shop
I noticed that things become different, if I change e.g. one letter of the category-base products into capital “Sup-shop”. Then the product page does open. Still this is not the solution as if I remove the product-tag from the URL, I return to this 404-error-page as all the categories are under the “Sup-shop”-tag with the capital letter….
Looking forward to your support.
I followed all steps and when you set the same base for product category and product., f.e. “shop”, you will still get 404 error.
Found out about this plugin from the support forum after trying to figure out why my cart would always come up empty. Turns out it was a pretty permalink issue and this plugin solves that issue! Many thanks 🙂
Works as described.
Contributors & Developers
“WooCommerce Breadcrumb Permalinks” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- The day Hiroshi Urabe made it a lot better, by doing…
- Fixing permalinks for multiple child category levels.
- Using add_permastruct for registering the product permalink.
- PHP 5.4 required – if that’s a problem for you, use an older version or don’t use the plugin – http://wpupdatephp.com/update/
- The day it started.