This plugin creates a widget that displays excerpts from Wikipedia on the tag pages (the template tag.php). The user can specify multiple languages for the plugin to query using the Wikipeida API. The language that has an article that matches the tag has its article displayed.
This widget is based on the WordPress-Wikipedia-Widget by patlockley: WordPress-Wikipedia-Widget
- Unzip the ‘wikipedia-tags.zip’ file
- Upload the folder
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Use the widget control panel to place the widget in your sidebars.
- Does the plugin support articles in all languages?
Yes. The user can specify the languages the plugin should search through.
- Does the widget show up on other pages than tag pages?
No, the widget checks to see if it is being displayed on a tag page using the conditional tag is_tag().
Contributors & Developers
“Wikipedia for tag pages” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
Added support for the ‘before_widget’, ‘after_widget’, ‘before_title’ and ‘after_title’ arguments.
Added cahcing on client and server sides.
Changed to widget title to correspond to the standard
Added some simple styling