Display in-line stock quotes on your blog
- Easy Linking – The plugin picks up keywords by itself and suggests quotes for you to display them on your blog.
- Updated Prices – The Stock Quotes plugin will show most recent price of the stock
- Background research – Good, free, background research for your readers, ticker symbols next to the stock quote will link back to Wikinvest articles.
- More than just equities – (coming soon) include quotes for commodities prices, currencies, indices, and key rates such as the LIBOR.
- Simple installation – easy to install and use, does not interfere with your posts.
Using the Plugin
- Create a new post or edit an existing post.
- Once you have completed editing your post, click on the Wikinvest Stock Quotes button on the editor toolbar (available only in Visual mode)
- On the popup, select the stocks for which you want to display stock quotes.
- You can customize the Stock Quotes plugin settings by clicking on the ‘settings’ link on the top right corner of the popup.
You acknowledge that Wikinvest or its licensors own all right, title and interest in and to the Widget and to any and all portions thereof, including without limitation any and all patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and other proprietary rights, and any and all applications, renewals, extensions and restorations thereof, now or hereafter in force and effect worldwide.
You agree not to modify, reverse engineer or decompile the Widget, or remove or modify any attribution, promotional text, branding or links provided by Nvest with or in the Widget code. You agree not to syndicate or otherwise distribute the Widget to any third party.
Nvest may change its technical processes for serving content and/or responding to the Widget, or otherwise modify the Widget in its sole discretion. Nvest may cease to deStockr content to or otherwise support the Widget if the Widget violates applicable law or the rights of any third party, or for any other reason or no reason at all, in each case in Nvest’s sole discretion.
You agree that you will remove the Widget from your website if you become aware that the Widget violates copyright or any other applicable law, or if Nvest notifies you in writing to do so.
By providing the Widget, neither Nvest nor Wikinvest endorse or otherwise affiliate themselves with your website. Except as may be incidentally implied by the basic operation of the Widget itself (e.g. through any Wikinvest branding or links displayed by operation of the Widget), you may not display the Widget in a way that implies such an endorsement or affiliation.
You may not display the Widget on a website containing content that is pornographic; that promotes or incites hatred or violence; that invades personal rights including rights of privacy; that violates any law including intellectual property laws; or that interferes with the functioning of other websites.
In the event of a legal claim arising against Nvest from your use of the Widget, you agree to indemnify Nvest for all liability and expenses incurred as a result of that claim.
- Download the current version of the Stock Quotes plugin.
- Unzip the file to your hard drive. The folder will be called wikinvest-stock-quotes.
- Connect to your blog’s server using an FTP client such as Filezilla. You will need to know the address for your blog’s server as well as your username/password.
- Find the folder called “wp-content” in your main WordPress directory. Copy the wikinvest-stock-quotes folder from your hard drive to the directory: /wp-content/plugins/
- Login to WordPress to administer your blog.
- Activate the Stock Quotes plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in your WordPress dashboard.
- For instructions on how to use the plugin, click here, or click the Other Notes tab (if available)
- I have a ticker or a company name in my post, but the Stock Quotes plugin isn’t picking it up. What should I do?
The Stock Quotes plugin usually won’t pick up terms that are ambiguous. For example, “CEO” could be the ticker symbol for CNOOC, the Chinese offshore oil drilling company, or it could be the acronym for Chief Executive Officer. In these cases, take advantage of the explicit linking syntax – Put your ticker or keyword in between double square brackets [[TICKER OR KEYWORD]]. For example, put [[CEO]] where you’d like to have a quote in your post, and the Stock Quotes Plugin will pick it up.
- What price does the Stock Quotes plugin show?
Wikinvest Stock Quotes will show the most recent price for the stock, delayed 15-20 minutes for most exchanges.
(Stock price data is 15 minute delayed for NASDAQ, 20 minute delayed for AMEX and NYSE. Quotes for some foreign stocks may be delayed by a day)
- How does the Stock Quotes Plugin decide which quotes to suggest?
The Stock Quotes Plugin automatically searches your posts for possible ticker symbols and company names and then matches it against the Wikinvest database.
- What other functionality is available with the Stock Quotes plugin?
You can change your settings so that the Stock Quotes plugin suggests links to other background research on Wikinvest which may interest your readers – for example, definitions of key financial terms. As before, you approve each link when you save a post. To try out these options, visit “settings” on the top-right corner of the popup.
- If I need more help or need to talk to someone, where do I go?
Send an email to email@example.com. We’ll usually respond within an hour during business hours
Contributors & Developers
“Wikinvest Stock Quotes” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors