This plugin will allow you to automatically show previews of external websites when a user hovers over a link in your posts.
It’s designed to work “out-of-the-box” and no changes should be needed on your part to make it work.
However, if you are familiar with CSS, you can apply “link previews” to links in other places in WordPress site by specifying any CSS selector that you want.
A free or paid Web Shrinker account is required as you will need a service API key.
- Upload the
simple_html_dom.phpfiles into the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Click the ‘Web Shrinker’ link in the WordPress settings menu, add your API access and secret key and click ‘Save Changes’ (REQUIRED)
- Then click on ‘Enable’ at the top of the ‘Web Shrinker’ settings screen
This plugin utilizes the services of webshrinker.com for URL previews. The free services is limited to 100 screenshots per month but doesn’t count same page previews twice. Okay for smaller blogs with only few links. The first screenshot request is slowish.
+1 to fergerm.
Contributors & Developers
“Web Shrinker – Website Link Preview Thumbnails” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Initial version supporting link previews for posts.
- Better support for blogs with HTTPS URLs when linking to the Web Shrinker JS file.
- Updated to use Web Shrinker Thumbnail API v2.