Washington State is a destination-based sales tax state. As a Washington-based business, if you sell taxable items within WA, you charge the tax rate of the destination you’re shipping to, rather than the rate of where you’re shipping from.
When selling digital goods, the billing address is use to calculate tax.
Most e-commerce platforms have relatively rudimentary tax calculation tools and tables. Shopp, while robust, doesn’t have the ability to calculate the actual sales tax in Washington State based on destination address and zip.
When enabled, the customer’s zip and address information is passed up to the WA DOR along with some basic information about the order and it returns the actual tax rate, and amount for the ship-to address.
Like most WordPress plugins, you can install from within the WordPress Admin under Plugins > Add New.
To install manually:
- Upload the
washington-state-sales-tax-for-shoppfolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Shopp Setup > WA State Tax and click Enabled under Washington Sales Tax
- If you wish to tax digital downloads as well, click Enabled under Tax Downloads
- Shopp will automatically get the destination-based sales tax for all orders shipped to Washington State.
Does this plugin work for Oregon, California, Idaho, Florida, etc?
Nope, just Washington State.
What about Washington DC?
Sorry, just Washington State.
I’m not sure if I need to use this plugin. I live in Washington, but don’t know if I need to collect sales tax. Can you help?
Unfortunately, we can’t advise you what taxes you’re liable to pay the State of Washington.
We recommend that you contact the Washington Department of Revenue or your accountant.
= My accountant says I should use this plugin; can you help make sure it’s installed correctly, provide customization, or help me with other Shopp questions?
Absolutely. Please contact us and let us know what you need and we’ll be happy to provide an estimate.
Contributors & Developers
“Washington State Sales Tax for Shopp” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
Interested in development?
- Enhancement: plugin forces zip entry for digital downloads.
- Updated alert styles in cart
- Fixed version – last release should have been 1.1.0 due to new features
- Bug fix: plugin now allows taxing of digital downloads.
- Admin panel: incorporated toggle to enable/disable taxing of downloads.
- Updated documentation.
- Moved settings page to Shopp > Setup
- Bug fix: plugin now honors
tax shippingselection under Shopp Setup/Taxes/Settings.
- Minor plugin housekeeping only; no bug fixes.
- Style updates in WP Dashboard.
- Minor housekeeping, bug fix for tax collection on promotional pricing.
- Initial release.