Installing is as simple as downloading the file from this site, placing it in your wp-content/plugins directory and activating the plugin. For the more detailed instructions read on.
- Get a Google Analytics account at http://analytics.google.com.
- Download the Ultimate Google Analytics ZIP file (see download section above)
- Extract the zipfile and place the PHP file in the wp-content/plugins directory of your WordPress installation
- Go to the administration page of your WordPress installation (normally at http://www.yourblog.com/wp-admin)
- Click on the Plugins tab and search for Ultimate Google Analytics in the list
- Activate the Ultimate Google Analytics plugin
- You can now find an Ultimate GA page under Options to set the options of the plug-in
- If you're comfortable reading HTML and feel like it, you can look at the HTML source code of your blog pages to see the included Google Analytics tracker code at the end of the page. You could also check if an onClick event is added to the outbound, download and/or mailto: links as specified in your options. Make sure that you’re not checking this as a logged on user if you’ve enabled Ignore Logged On Users. In that case, log out of WordPress before doing these checks. Also make sure you request your blog page at least twice to give the Ultimate Google Analytics plugin the change to detect is the wp_footer hook is called by your template.
- Wait until Google Analytics updates your reports. Currently it seems like this can take up to 24 hours. Note that by default Google Analytics selects a week ending yesterday as its reporting period. Click on today in the lefthand calendar to see today’s statistics, if they’ve already been reported.