Twitter Profile Field is a simple WordPress plugin that gives the user a new field in the profile page to add in their Twitter username.
The pluhin also provides a shortcode which allows authors to display their, or others, Twitter usernames, optionally with a link, in posts, pages, and text widgets.
- Install Twitter Profile Field either via the WordPress.org plugin directory, or by uploading the files to your
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to your profile page (
Users > Your Profile) and enter your Twitter username under ‘Contact Info’
See the FAQ for instructions on how to use the shortcode.
- How do I use the shortcode?
The shortcode is
You can use it in posts, pages, and text widgets.
You can add several parameters to the shortcode if you want:
[twitter-user link="yes"]will display your username with a link to your Twitter Profile (<a href=”http://twitter.com/%username%”>%Username%</a>)
[twitter-user link="yes" title="Title tag content here"]allows you to add a custom
titletag to the link
[twitter-user userid="2"]will display the username for the user with an ID of 2
- How to use Twitter Profile Field in template files
There’s two ways you can display your Twitter username in your template files:
<?php echo do_shortcode( '[twitter-user]' ); ?>. You can use all the parameters listed under “How do I use the shortcode?”
<?php the_author_meta( 'twitter' ); ?>. If you use it outside the loop, you should add an user ID to it by using
<?php the_author_meta( 'twitter', 1 ); ?>where 1 is the user ID. This will continue to work even after you remove the plugin (but the usernames can’t be edited then).
- It don’t work – What should I do?
First of all, make sure that the plugin is activated. If you add the to your theme file(s), make sure that you use
<?php the_author_meta('twitter', 1); ?>if it’s OUTSIDE the loop.
Contributors & Developers
“Twitter Profile Field” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Overhauled the plugin code
httpslinks to the Twitter profiles
- Removed the dashboard widget
- The plugin can now be translated
- Danish translation added
- Tested with WordPress 3.7.1
- Tested up to WordPress 3.2.1
- Added the
useridparameter to the shortcode
- Tested with 3.0
- No 2.8 support anymore
- Better code
- Uses the new 2.9 user_contactmethods for 2.9 users
- Adds a Dashboard widget
- Initial Release