* _____ _ __ _ ____ * * |_ _| _| |/ /___ __| | / ___|___ _ __ ___ * * | || | | | ' // _ \ / _' | | | / _ \| '_ ' _ \ * * | || |_| | . \ (_) | (_| |_| |__| (_) | | | | | | * * |_| \__,_|_|\_\___/ \__,_(_)\____\___/|_| |_| |_| * * =================================================== * * * ***************************************************************
The TuKod MultiSite Site Names plugin allows you to customize the SiteName portion during the registration (sign-up) process. The plugin is tested to work with the TuKod Multi Networks plugin to allow you to use expanded SiteNames across different Networks and Domain Names. Likewise the plugin is tested to work with the TuKod MultiSite User Names plugin, which allows you to modify the UserName during registration also, even across Networks with different Domain Names!
“Out of the box” WordPress has a number of restrictions on the SiteNames you can register. These restrictions are usually due to older servers, and older code. Most people today do not use this old software, and you can benefit from the following improvements in this plugin.
Minimum Length: Set it from 1 to 10 Characters
Matching UserNames: SiteNames may be allowed to match existing UserNames.
Dash or Hyphen: Use an internal Dash or Hyphen (–) in your SiteNames!
Dot or Period: Use an internal Dot or Period (.) in your SiteNames!
Tilde: Use an internal Tilde (~) in your SiteNames!
Underscore: Use an internal Underscore (_) in your SiteNames!
Uppercase: Use uppercase letters (capital A-Z) the same as lowercase letters or numbers!
Any or all of these features may be individually, or selectively, turned on or off with just a click! “Off” reverts back to the normal WordPress behavior.
TuKod Multi Networks Plugin
- These Two Plugins (TuKod Multi Networks and TuKod MultiSite Site Names) work together to allow you to have multiple domain names (Multi Networks or sometimes called Multi Domains ) using sign-up forms with all the features of the TuKod MultiSite Site Names. In this case TuKod MultiSite Site Names automatically self adjusts to the MultiSite Multi Networks Domain Names plugin, and only presents options that are valid withing Sub-Domain Installations.
TuKod MultiSite User Names Plugin
- These Two Plugins (TuKod MultiSite User Names and TuKod MultiSite Site Names) work together to allow people to register UserNames that match their expanded SiteNames as well as a number of other features.
All Three of the Above Plugins are designed to work together and offer a very light load on the server.
TuKod MultiSite Site Names has been tested and works with a great many other plugins without problems.
Out Of The Box
Below is a list of the Standard WordPress Limitations, which are Fixed by the TuKod MultiSite Site Names Plugin.
- This is set at a fixed length of 4 characters minimum.
Existing UserName Match is Not Allowed
- A new SiteName is not allowed to match any existing UserName.
- Assume you have three Networks (domains) like:
- Assume someone registers pizza.example.org with UserName pizza, then the following would be reserved, or blocked, from anyone else using it.
- The more domains you have the worst this becomes.
Hyphen or Dash (-)
- A hyphen or dash is not allowed anywhere in the SiteName.
Period or Dot (.)
- A period or dot is not allowed anywhere in the SiteName.
- A tilde is not allowed anywhere in the SiteName.
- A underscore is not allowed anywhere in the SiteName.
- Uppercase letters are not allowed anywhere in the SiteName.
The TuKod MultiSite Site Names plugin is one of the easiest and most intutive WordPress plugins to install and configure. Many people do not need any instructions at all, but for those that are not so sure, here is the easy way to make this work on your site!
Insure that WordPress MultiSite is working on your site (this may be with or without the TuKod Multi Network plugin that adds more domain names).
Install the plugin by either method.
You can download and install the TuKod MultiSite Site Names plugin, using the built in WordPress plugin installer. Or…
Download the TuKod MultiSite Site Names plugin into your computer, unzip, and upload the tukod-multisite-site-names folder to the
From your Network Admin Panel Network Activate the TuKod MultiSite Site Names plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
Go to your SiteName Options by either of the following methods:
From the Network Plugin Menu click on the Settings Link for the TuKod MultiSite Site Names plugin. Or…
From the Network Sites Menu click on TuKod SiteNames link
If you need to make any changes in your WordPress Configuration, the TuKod MultiSite Site Names plugin will tell you what to do here.
Configure your options, with a check-mark next to the SiteName Options you want to add.
Use the pull down menu to select the minimum number of characters in a SiteName (from 1-10).
At the bottom of the page click Save Changes!
If you are using the TuKod Multi Networks plugin (for Multi Domain names), you will need to Network Activate this plugin on each network.
Frequently Asked Questions…
* _________ ____ * / ____/ | / __ \ _____ * / /_ / /| |/ / / / / ___/ * / __/ / ___ / /_/ / (__ ) * /_/ /_/ |_\___\_\/____/
- Can I set a minimum length of greater than 4 characters?
Yes!! The plugin allows you to select a new minimum SiteName length between 1 and 10.
- Why delete “define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘example.com’ );”?
WordPress had you add… “define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘example.com’ );” to your wp-config.php file when you set up your MultiSite (note that example.com represents your first site’s domain name). Some people are confused, and wonder why we are now asking you to remove it?
Actually we want you to replace this with…
define( ‘TUKOD_MSSN’, true );
This replacement does two things. First it allows the plugin to work properly regardless of your current configuration. Secondly, if you are using the TuKod Multi Networks plugin with this (a growing number of people use them together). It allows the TuKod Multi Networks to work dynamically to register new sites.
- What is an Internal character?
An Internal character is just one that has a letter or number on both the left and the right side. Some valid Internal dash examples are:
- -george : The dash is invalid because it has no letter or number on the left side.
- george- : The dash is invalid because it has no letter or number on the right side.
- george–jones : The first dash is invalid because it has no letter or number on the immediate right, the second dash is invalid because it has no letter or number to it’s immediate left. A dash is not considered a letter or number.
- george-d.-jones : The dot is invalid because it has no letter or number on the immediate right, the second dash is invalid because it has no letter or number to it’s immediate left. A dash or dot is not considered a letter or number.
- What letters and numbers can be used in any position?
Valid letters and number include lowercase a-z and 0-9. If you have enabled uppercase you may use A-Z as well. For those using TuKod MultiSite User Names you can also add any ISO/IEC 8859 letter in the UserName, like ñ in jalapeño or Ñoclo or like the letter µ (mu).
Contributors & Developers
“TuKod MultiSite Site Names” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- 2012 May 6
- Initial Release